Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2019 - Sept 12-15 in Banner Elk, NC - REGISTRATION CLOSED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Dr Evil
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 12 2019, 02:46 PM) *

Anybody near Dillard GA, near the Tenn state line?
Matt Cobb is broken down with a missing taco plate ,
and may need some assistance. He is traveling with
his brother, and have an additional car.
Additional details on the 914 world facebook page.
914 World Facebook Page

I bet if he can get a tow to the event we could get the parts from someone and fix it in the parking lot. Just like old times smile.gif
db9146
I thought I was going to make it to Okteenerfest but It looks like I'm not....so is anyone still looking for a room at the hotel?

Dee Bryson (678) 429-3864
billh1963
Looks like a couple of us have had mechanical problems. I had to go to Virginia for work before coming to Okteenerfest. So, rather than be Porscheless I drove the Boxster. Was 10 minutes from the hotel in Banner Elk and lost the Boxster engine. Probably IMS.

Much thanks to DrPhil and his friend Jim. They were about an hour behind me. When he got to my location Phil unloaded his 914 from the trailer and gave me a ride to Enterprise so I could rent a car (made it 7 minutes before closing). In the meantime Jim stayed with my Boxster until AAA showed up. I got back to the car just as he finished loading it on the flatbed.

Oh well..... crap happens! At least I made it this year even if it is in a rented Kia!
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 12 2019, 09:48 PM) *

Looks like a couple of us have had mechanical problems. I had to go to Virginia for work before coming to Okteenerfest. So, rather than be Porscheless I drove the Boxster. Was 10 minutes from the hotel in Banner Elk and lost the Boxster engine. Probably IMS.

Much thanks to DrPhil and his friend Jim. They were about an hour behind me. When he got to my location Phil unloaded his 914 from the trailer and gave me a ride to Enterprise so I could rent a car (made it 7 minutes before closing). In the meantime Jim stayed with my Boxster until AAA showed up. I got back to the car just as he finished loading it on the flatbed.

Oh well..... crap happens! At least I made it this year even if it is in a rented Kia!

My first Octeenerfest was in a rental car but I passengered in Bob's/Saigon car and had a great time.
Glad the engine issue didn't get too messy.
stevend914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Sep 2 2019, 06:42 AM) *

driving.gif Getting an early start...heading out the door...Vermont, then North Carolina. driving.gif

14 1/2 hour ordeal today, but I'm home. Just under 3950 miles, St. Louis to Vermont to North Carolina to St. Louis. Hope my back recovers soon.
db9146
My issue turned out to be the fuel pump. Got hot in the Atlanta traffic Thursday afternoon (98 degrees plus bad traffic) and the pressure dropped, causing the rise in AFR and the rough running. Glad I turned around and headed home though we hate that we missed Okteenerfest this year.
malcolm2
I did not see a photo uploader for this. Did I miss it?

As usual, the event staff did an awesome job. Tremendous.... beerchug.gif

Thanks to all involved,

Clark
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 16 2019, 10:56 AM) *

Thanks to all involved,

Clark

- I assume you are referring to the Okteenerfest event- here you go-
Email : events@914world.com for email upload of single photo or
Also can post on the actual thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340522
malcolm2
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 16 2019, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 16 2019, 10:56 AM) *

Thanks to all involved,

Clark

- I assume you are referring to the Okteenerfest event- here you go-
Email : events@914world.com for email upload of single photo or
Also can post on the actual thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340522

Thanks, I did find it. I wish you could do more than 1 photo at a time tho.
stephenaki
So Okteenerfest 2019 was a phenomenal success and a great time was had by all! I believe we had 60 cars there, Bob and the gang will need to confirm, and over 150 people in attendance. We gave out over 150+ prizes as part of the raffle drawings and we added in a trivia quiz this year that was spur of the moment but made for some lively entertainment.

Much thanks to all our sponsors for supporting this event and providing so many prizes and even more thanks to all those who attended. I will echo what Bob said on Saturday night, without you all, there would be no gathering of truly wonderful and people who all love a unique and often maligned little car. The 914 may have been the bastard child of Porsche and Volkswagen but the people who cherish this rather sexy illegitimate child continue to impress and amaze me every year at this event.

I belong to many automotive clubs from Mercedes to MGs to the Antique Automobile Club of America and although each have their quirks and personalities, the people who own 914s are by far my favorite! It is a community with a wealth of humor, mirth and giving who always step up to help others in need and never put on airs.

I hope to see you all again next year and lets see if we can break the record of cars and participants!
IPB Image
billh1963
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Sep 17 2019, 08:36 AM) *

I belong to many automotive clubs from Mercedes to MGs to the Antique Automobile Club of America and although each have their quirks and personalities, the people who own 914s are by far my favorite! It is a community with a wealth of humor, mirth and giving who always step up to help others in need and never put on airs.

I agree. I dropped my Ferrari club membership after some bad experiences and the last couple PCA events I attended were more “conspicuous consumption “ orgies than car events. The best events I attend are Okteenerfest and Corvair meets. Maybe it’s because these cars were unloved for so long the owners developed a passion for the car regardless of what others thought? I don’t know.

What I do know is that the people who attend Okteenerfest (and Corvair) events are some of the most generous and down to earth people I have met....anywhere.
t collins
Dr. Evil is quite the tranny educator, comedian, and talented guitar player....
Our thanks to you for taking the time to be here with us!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment s
Dr Evil
QUOTE(t collins @ Sep 17 2019, 03:00 PM) *

Dr. Evil is quite the tranny educator, comedian, and talented guitar player....
Our thanks to you for taking the time to be here with us!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment s

You flatter me, Tom. It was great to be with my people again, it had been too long. It’s true, 914 people are different in a great way smile.gif
db9146
Just an FYI, a couple of weeks before Okteenerfest, I reached out to Mike Blizzard and obtained a copy of the Sponsor Letter for Okteenerfest. With that in hand and being a 30+ year member of PCA, I contacted Vu Nguyen, PCA president. I had already reached out to Ezra Jones at PCNA directly (he was the PCNA representative that hosted the 914 event at the Atlanta Experience Center) to make him aware of Okteenerfest and 914World in general.

I contacted Vu via email and then spoke with him by phone and asked that he help me make contact with the person at PCNA in Atlanta with the following objectives:
1) make them aware of Okteenerfest,
2) let them know that there would likely be a large turnout at Okteenerfest (and there was compared to the 10 914s that showed up at the PCNA event), and
3) try to get some support from PCA or PCNA for Okteenerfest (either in the form of cash support or any door prize or memorabilia items that they might already have in the works for the Atlanta event).

Vu was not aware of Okteenerfest but he at least knows about it now. He said that he would try to reach out to someone at PCNA but I never heard back and my follow up call from the week before Okteenerfest was not returned.

I believe it would be worth a follow up to Vu for support of Okteenerfest next year. I can continue to work this if Bob and Mike are okay with me doing this.....I'm certainly willing to help if I can.
Jamie
I haven't talked to Vu in several years, does he still own his 914?
Betty
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 18 2019, 10:44 AM) *

Just an FYI, a couple of weeks before Okteenerfest, I reached out to Mike Blizzard and obtained a copy of the Sponsor Letter for Okteenerfest. With that in hand and being a 30+ year member of PCA, I contacted Vu Nguyen, PCA president. I had already reached out to Ezra Jones at PCNA directly (he was the PCNA representative that hosted the 914 event at the Atlanta Experience Center) to make him aware of Okteenerfest and 914World in general.

I contacted Vu via email and then spoke with him by phone and asked that he help me make contact with the person at PCNA in Atlanta with the following objectives:
2) let them know that there would likely be a large turnout at Okteenerfest (and there was compared to the 10 914s that showed up at the PCNA event), and
3) try to get some support from PCA or PCNA for Okteenerfest (either in the form of cash support or any door prize or memorabilia items that they might already have in the works for the Atlanta event).

Vu was not aware of Okteenerfest but he at least knows about it now. He said that he would try to reach out to someone at PCNA but I never heard back and my follow up call from the week before Okteenerfest was not returned.

I believe it would be worth a follow up to Vu for support of Okteenerfest next year. I can continue to work this if Bob and Mike are okay with me doing this.....I'm certainly willing to help if I can.

Ummm..... hello?! How about formal invitations issued (well before the actual event so they could really have a chance to schedule it) to Vu and to Manny Alban (past PCA President and also a hard core 914 guy - he's ridden around COTA in my car) to attend Okteenerfest next year? I would be happy to pay for one of their entry fees in the spirit of "Let's show you what 914 people really represent...".
Rusty
Per request from Clay, the 914 Special Interest Group discussion has been split into it's own thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340832
Mblizzard
I emailed John and was respectful in my wording. But regardless of the reasoning, those on the outside can only see this as a very exclusionary action by PCA. I know there will be lots of “reasons” that explain what it’s not, but the simple reality is there is no other way for 914 owners to take this.

As a well funded organization PCA should be smart enough to know that. Regardless of reasons for the action there was clearly a million better ways to go about it.

We will wait to see how they respond. Not quite to canceling my membership but getting close.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 18 2019, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 26 2019, 08:56 AM) *

I emailed John and was respectful in my wording. But regardless of the reasoning, those on the outside can only see this as a very exclusionary action by PCA. I know there will be lots of “reasons” that explain what it’s not, but the simple reality is there is no other way for 914 owners to take this.

As a well funded organization PCA should be smart enough to know that. Regardless of reasons for the action there was clearly a million better ways to go about it.

We will wait to see how they respond. Not quite to canceling my membership but getting close.

I called the PCA and emailed and left multiple messages for Vu and his assistant, and I never had one of those responded to- and this was back when we first knew the PCNA was doing thie 914 thing on 9/14. And I know HE KNEW about Okteenerfest if he told you he didn't know he is lying........ they don't give a shit if you cancel your membership I think because I told them that multiple times , that if I received no call back or email that's whats happening. The only thing that has kept me from following thru with that was the contact I had with the guy that Bob Seville had us email about them dropping the 914registry, and he did respond back and forth a couple times and we discussed the Renwerks reunion coming up at Amelia Island and Ameila and Porshce having plans for display of 914's there for the 50th, and I would like to be part of that, - but if I get no response back from PCA or PCNA regarding that then my resignation from all things PCA including my local committee involvement will be done. for these things to happen right now right in the middle of the 50th is even a bigger slap in the face of all 914 owners . I have a feeling PCNA as a whole does not give a crap and apparently Vu and PCA don't either. IF YOU DO SHOW ME!!!!!!"
" its not your words its your actions........ that will prove your true heart and intentions"
naro914
To be clear...PCNA is in no way associated with PCA or the 914 Register Group. PCNA is Porsche Cars North America. They are a company. They sell new cars and quite honestly make zero money off of us 914 owners (ok, I do buy my oil filters from the local dealer for the race car but...) PCA is the club, and the register groups fall under PCA.

Also...please lets keep this thread about Okteenerfest and move all 914 Register discussion to the new thread.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 26 2019, 11:11 AM) *

To be clear...PCNA is in no way associated with PCA or the 914 Register Group. PCNA is Porsche Cars North America. They are a company. They sell new cars and quite honestly make zero money off of us 914 owners (ok, I do buy my oil filters from the local dealer for the race car but...) PCA is the club, and the register groups fall under PCA.

Also...please lets keep this thread about Okteenerfest and move all 914 Register discussion to the new thread.

Sorry will do , my bad, just saw the link to other thread
poorsche914
Sorry for the delay in getting the "as you entered" Car Show photos posted - left Banner Elk after the banquet, drove three hours home, tried to sleep a couple hours, then left for a 7:30am flight to Las Vegas to work an event. Finally getting over the long week and time change blink.gif

I have posted all Okteenerfest 2019 images to the OKTEENERFEST ARCHIVE FOLDER on Google Drive. This folder also contains images from all past Okteenerfest events. Enjoy!

driving.gif
JFJ914
Thank you Steve!
BENBRO02
Thanks! I'm going to get a 8x10 to put in my office.
poorsche914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 27 2019, 12:49 PM) *
Thanks! I'm going to get a 8x10 to put in my office.

If you want a high resolution version for printing, PM me and I will be glad to send you the file.

steve
driving.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 26 2019, 01:28 PM) *

Sorry for the delay in getting the "as you entered" Car Show photos posted - left Banner Elk after the banquet, drove three hours home, tried to sleep a couple hours, then left for a 7:30am flight to Las Vegas to work an event. Finally getting over the long week and time change blink.gif

I have posted all Okteenerfest 2019 images to the OKTEENERFEST ARCHIVE FOLDER on Google Drive. This folder also contains images from all past Okteenerfest events. Enjoy!

driving.gif

I see only the car show entries Steve, what about the awards from the banquet?
poorsche914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 27 2019, 08:08 PM) *
I see only the car show entries Steve, what about the awards from the banquet?

I haven't even looked at those images yet but will plan on posting them this weekend. Thanks for the reminder, Jamie.

steve
driving.gif
stephenaki
OK, I have been lax in getting these posted but I finally got the chance to pull them off the camera. These are all the photos I took for the event. Some are better than others and I may have missed a few. Please feel free to download and use any of the pictures that are posted.

https://ibb.co/album/kHSKwF

I had better pics last year but the area allowed for a bit of a better setup. We'll see what next year brings!
malcolm2
Does Doug Leehr have a website?

I found the vendor logo links on the Okteenerfest web page, but his link goes no where.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 4 2019, 05:30 AM) *

Does Doug Leehr have a website?

I found the vendor logo links on the Okteenerfest web page, but his link goes no where.

I will PM you his email.
Garland
wanted to share the license plate on the 914 Support Vehicle, to clear up any controversy. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.