Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter question on a Renegade SBC V8 conversation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dredwin
Stuck at Costco and my car won’t start. Wouldn’t jump so I’m guessing the starter. Clicks but won’t turn over. Couldn’t get it push started either since the lot is small and a mom and 2 kids could t push hard enough. (That was a sight)

Does anyone know if the SBC V8 conversation requires a starter for a 350 or some other one? I might be over thinking this but the renegade site has their own hi torque starter and I just want to be able to get home without a tow so I can work on my car in the garage. Can go to Oreilley but don’t know what to order.
1970-1914
If the battery is good and the starter clicks - try giving it a whack on the starter housing with something like a tire iron. Sometimes there is a dead spot and that will slightly jar it into operation.
Dredwin
QUOTE(1970-1914 @ Mar 16 2019, 04:06 PM) *

If the battery is good and the starter clicks - try giving it a whack on the starter housing with something like a tire iron. Sometimes there is a dead spot and that will slightly jar it into operation.

I’ll try that tonight when Costco closes but wanted have a backup plan if that didn’t work. I live 30 miles from Costco.
1970-1914
Also bring jumper cables just Incase biggrin.gif
Andyrew
914 and 911 starter both fit.

Try removing 2 spark plugs if your starter is really weak. You can easily drive it on 6 and you'll have less overall compression to fight against.
Chris914n6
A tow is cheaper than a starter you might not need.
The "renegade hi torque starter" is just a common IM101, usually found at VW places.
The stock 914 and stronger 911 starters will bolt on but might not have grunt to turn the V8 fast enough.
DickSteinkamp
My SBC conversion would start fine with the stock starter....when cold. After running a while...no go. I replaced it with a high torque (converted Japanese car starter).

It may start fine when you get back to the CostCo and it has cooled down.

A Chevy starter will not fit (and if it did would turn the engine over the wrong way)

Renegade's high torque starter will work fine but it is about twice the cost for the same thing from other vendors.
Dredwin
Beat on the starter to no avail. One last attempt at a jump start and it fired up. An empty parking lot gave us more room to push.
Thanks for the advice. Will look for a replacement now that I have him home.
jim_hoyland
If the jump start got it running, is the battery the problem or the starter ?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Dredwin @ Mar 16 2019, 09:28 PM) *

One last attempt at a jump start and it fired up. An empty parking lot gave us more room to push.

Did you end up jump starting it with cables to another battery, or pushing it and popping the clutch when it was rolling?
TheCabinetmaker
Jump start, or bump start?
theer
Had the same problem with my LS2 conversion. Cheapo starter would work when cold, but no go when hot. Damnedest thing.

Finally figured it was the starter. New one is on the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.