Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Lug Finishes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BENBRO02
I have acquired 5 14"×5.5" wheels from various sources in the past couple of months and planned on refinishing them to stock look. One of the wheels came with no paint and a dull finish. I used some Mother's polish to brighten up the petals and the lip and really like the look. 1) Does anyone else think this looks better than stock? 2) Do I need to protect the raw wheel with clear?Click to view attachment
Spoke
I like both. I'm partial to the black background though.
Dion
I actually like the dull look.
I’m on the fence myself between my polished Fuchs or
to sandblast them to the frosted. Your “dull” looks like an in-between style.
I imagine you’ll need to keep them protected by polish or clear coat them.
Otherwise they’ll oxidize.
brant
Those wheels have a clear anodizing on them.

to actually polish the metal, you'll need to chemically or mechanically remove the anodizing.

my guess is that the dull look is the scuffing of the anodizing that is still on the wheel. they may or may not oxidize as you currently have them because the metal is likely still coated in a layer of anodize

we use easy off oven cleaner (lie) to remove the anodizing if you go that route. we have done all of our wheels with strip, polish, aluminum prime, and repaint the centers.... more of a polish pedal look.

its a big labor intensive process for the home mechanic
brant
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 18 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Those wheels have a clear anodizing on them.

to actually polish the metal, you'll need to chemically or mechanically remove the anodizing.

my guess is that the dull look is the scuffing of the anodizing that is still on the wheel. they may or may not oxidize as you currently have them because the metal is likely still coated in a layer of anodize

we use easy off oven cleaner (lie) to remove the anodizing if you go that route. we have done all of our wheels with strip, polish, aluminum prime, and repaint the centers.... more of a polish pedal look.

its a big labor intensive process for the home mechanic

burton73
RS finish is a nice one and you just need to keep them clean.

Bob BClick to view attachment
burton73
You can do it yourself if you want polished only. Polished and then anodized you would send out. Polished would need service of polish on car from time to time.

Polished wheels are now on Coondogs car except the 6 x 16 that I still have at PMB

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the factory Fuchs are so so expensive to purchase and valuable if you already own a set that they should always be reanodized with painted background. Leave the custom treatments to the aftermarket versions!
BENBRO02
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 18 2019, 06:16 PM) *

the factory Fuchs are so so expensive to purchase and valuable if you already own a set that they should always be reanodized with painted background. Leave the custom treatments to the aftermarket versions!

That sounds exactly what I would say to someone else.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 18 2019, 12:31 PM) *

RS finish is a nice one and you just need to keep them clean.

Bob BClick to view attachment

I fell in love with that RS finish when you originally posted. I agree that it's better than RSR. Thanks
BENBRO02
Thanks to all for their opinions and advice.
Chris914n6
Your raw wheel looks like a Titanium paint color, if you wanted to go that route.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.