Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Support
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AMac
I never do this. I never take the time to complete online customer surveys, provide feedback, complain, write to share my experience with others. Last week I had an exchange with Auto Atlanta I feel compelled to share. No one in the 914 community should have to experience what I have over the past month. Of course it was my fault...
The story is simple. I placed an order. Shipment (envelope) arrived with an incorrect item. It was my fault. Zero follow through from AA.
Details: I placed an order over the phone. Four decals, final items in the completion of a 1975 2.0l restoration to original specs. I provided the part numbers I had pulled from the AA web site. I wasn't 100% sure where two of the decals should be placed and was assured by the gentleman on the phone (first name starting with an A) that a diagram/description of the locations would be included with the order.
My credit card number was provided and was promised a detailed invoice copy would be sent to me by email prior to shipping from AA.
A few days passed. No email, no copy of an invoice. I called and requested a copy and was told it had been sent. I had no issue with that, email can get lost (it was not in my junk folder) and requested AA send again. A few days passed and nothing. I made a second request and was told I must be having email trouble. A few days later the envelope arrived. Enclosed were four decals, no invoice copy, no instructions/guide or basic notes as promised at time of order about the correct locations for the decals.. Three of the four decals were correct, the fourth was the engine decal for a 1976 model - not the part number I had ordered.
The next day I called AA and spoke to the gentleman who had taken the original order. I explained the situation, incorrect decal, no instructions, still no invoice and was told, "I don't know these cars, I only know 911's. I asked the owner about it and he told me that was the correct decal". Keep in mind I am still patient, polite, looking for a solution - not a big deal, easy to solve - the shipment was an envelope! I restated that we had the original decal from the 2.0l motor - worn, ripped - and it was very different from the yellow decal sent to me. I was told, "I will get the owner" and was put on hold.
"Hello, what is it", I heard. "Hello", I said, "my name is..." and I proceeded to tell him the events of the past 10 days - no invoice, incorrect decal etc. essentially repeating myself. "Are you George" I asked. "Yes" was the reply. "That's the correct decal you have, Ill send you a picture. I insisted it was not. "When was your car manufactured?" he asked. "August 74" I said. "Oh, you have an early 75, that has a different decal and we don't have those. If you want I can send one to the print shop, it will cost you $200 for the mold and then you can have one". I said, 'that would be nice but out of my budget. Was there something else we could do?" George said, "well we have the 1.8l decals, I could send you one of those". I said, "that would be great, it is the original look I want and the 1.8 is same size, location, colors on engine so close enough. Thank you that would be great". "Ok", he said, "Ill get one out to you".
"Thank you" I said, and added, "would you please check again and be sure to send me a copy of the original invoice as I still do not have a copy of what I spent but I can see the charge on my online credit card statement." "Yes" he said, "Ill check on that.."
That was a week ago.
Days passed and no email, no invoice, no follow up. On Friday last week, the 15th, I received an email from AA. It was notice of a shipment that required payment before it would be released. That was odd I thought, I didn't place an order for anything other than the decals three weeks back. I also thought it was odd that I was receiving email from AA after being told many times that the original invoice had been sent to me multiple times and it must be an issue on my end - I have yet to receive a copy of the invoice.
I read the email asking for money, confused I called AA and spoke with the gentleman this all started with. I explained the email I had received that morning and asked if it was connected to the request for the invoice from the original order. "No", I was told. "The email is asking for your credit card so we can ship you the decal you asked for."
I said, "the decal I asked for, do you mean the replacement for the one that was sent in error in the original envelope?" "Yes" was the response". I said, "but I spoke to George about this last week, he told me the decal sent on the original order was incorrect for the car and he would send me one that would look closer to the original in appearance, the 1.8 decal." "Yes, thats right", he said, "but you have to pay for it. But if you send us back the one we sent you we will credit your credit card." I said, "all this for a $12 decal that AA shipped in error? I still don't have an invoice, I did not receive the promised notes about correct positioning, multiple calls and email, a promise from George that he would send me a replacement and now you want to charge my credit card before you will put the correct decal in an envelope and mail it?"
He said, "yes, if you want the decal you will have to send us the one you have". I said, "I have no issue doing that but it feels like this is my fault, you are now delaying the completion of this project and have not followed through on simple requests I have made politely multiple times. Would you consider this responsible customer service?" He said, "if you want it that's what has to happen?"
I said, "Before I called you a month ago I hesitated, I had heard about the AA reputation among the 914 community, the less than stellar service record, the many people who I read about saying they would never deal with you. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, that things are not always that way and they just had one of those bad experiences. Well, now I know. I have learned the hard way that your reputation is in fact reality. I have worked on 914's for twenty plus years. In that time I have used companies like Pelican Parts and 914Rubber. Those companies go out of their way to solve customer challenges, they respond honestly, in a timely fashion always with the attitude that the customer comes first. This has not been my experience with you. I am sorry I ever made the call to your office. This has been an awful unfortunate experience for me."
There was an email exchange, I was told "we went out of our way to send you pictures of where the decals were placed on the engine" - which was true but that was when George was figuring out what should have been sent as the correct decal. But I guess it was my fault all along.
I wish them the best.
Andrew

mepstein
Yep. On the other hand, welcome.png
rjames
Be happy it was only a decal and not much $ spent. Doing business with them is like playing the lottery, but with worse odds.
jdamiano
Sorry you had a crappy experience, but in fairness I want to share my AA experience from last week. Called and spoke to George Tuesday. I tell him my name and the color of my car and he always acts like he knows who I am. Maybe he types my name on his computer but whatever. Told him my speedometer cable was leaking at the transaxle. Told me that I needed 2 seals and told me how to change them. The entire call was about a minute. Opened the mailbox Saturday and there are the seals. Sunday and about 30 minutes of work and no leak. I choose to have this weird old car and it’s nice to have a resource like AA available to help me keep it on the road.
DickSteinkamp
It's human nature, but I really hate it when others "pile on" when there is a report of a bad experience with a supplier. They've ALL made errors, had bad days, not handled a complaint to the customer's satisfaction. In addition, often the supplier's side of the story is very different from the one reporting the problem.

I have spent a lot of money (from my perspective) with AA. Lots of orders, never a problem. All quality stuff. No mistakes. Your experience may vary.

SirAndy
popcorn[1].gif
wes
AA strikes once again. I hate to say it but you’re lucky only got you for a few dollars.
Seems there’s no end to AA ripoffs! I thought after his soddenly showing up online here and Facebook with constant helpful hints of knowledge he might be taking a turn although guessing he’s just looking for more $$ to build his new shop. Probably now that our loved little cars are gaining popularity and value he’s ready for the big payoff!
Many sad stories to include myself with bigger $$ lost to tell by members here.
On a Good note I’ve had extremely great buying experience’s and much helpful advice with all others through the rebuilding of my 914. My 2 cents
KELTY360
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Mar 18 2019, 02:12 PM) *

Sorry you had a crappy experience, but in fairness I want to share my AA experience from last week.

Why is this "in fairness"? Because George did the right thing for you does this cancel out the experience of the other gentleman? The original poster had such an easy problem to solve that the solution should have been a no brainer...send him the damn decal. The markup on those is only about 500%. How hard is it to send an invoice.

The maddening thing about the situation is that it was so easy to solve. I'd been tempted to try a transaction with AA because of George's apparent to desire to ingratiate himself to the 914 community.

Oh well.
oakdalecurtis
I guess it’s like yelp reviews. I accept the OP’s report. Just wanted others here to know that I have called George a number of times over many years and in EVERY case, he was helpful above and beyond with my needs...

rhodyguy
If umpteen+ people tell you don't and you do it's on you. DON'T! Sorry for your troubles. WIG? dry.gif smoke.gif
76-914
popcorn[1].gif IBTL Where's my raincoat? Forecast is for a veritable stromberg.gif Storm.
strawman
Never again will I spend money with AA. Lesson learned... go with a reputable vendor next time. Sorry you had to find out the hard (frustrating!) way.
Mike Fitton
With AA it is 50/50 whether you get Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. I only buy parts that I can confirm from a member here that they are acceptable. I have bought small parts in the past that I just threw in the garbage. When they produce a bad repro part and it is a small ticket item they still ship it out and figure you will not return it because cost for shipping is more than the part cost.
rhodyguy
Like putting out a fire with gasoline.
bdstone914
@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

@SirAndy

Andy,

Looks like if the member has the @ in the screen name the notification sees that as another screen name. Just letting George know about this.
popcorn[1].gif
AMac
Thank you everyone who replied to the post about my experience with AA. 914World works for the benefit of the community!
This morning I received a call from AA apologizing for the "confusion" and to let me know that the replacement decal was in the mail and that I should have it in a few days. Great news!
Thank you AA for following up and renewing my faith in fellow man. Much appreciated.
AMac
AMac
Thank you everyone who replied to the original "Community Support" post about my experience with AA. Proof that 914World works for the benefit of the community!

This morning I received a call from AA apologizing for the "confusion" and to let me know that the replacement decal was in the mail and that I should have it in a few days. Great news!

Thank you AA for following up and renewing my faith in our fellow man/woman. Much appreciated. I now hope others will perhaps give them a second chance.

Cheers,

AMac
SirAndy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 19 2019, 06:29 AM) *
@dr914 @autoatlanta.com
@SirAndy

Looks like if the member has the @ in the screen name the notification sees that as another screen name. Just letting George know about this.
popcorn[1].gif

Who in their right mind would use their email address as a user name?
Talk about a SPAM magnet right there!

Anyways, i made a note of this, if (when) i get around to work on that is another question though.
type.gif
bandjoey
Sometimes things are blown out of proportion‘s and when I see a newbie complaining and writing a book review about a small order it makes me wonder what’s going on really. Did someone really say this at AA? ..I only know 911s.

“The next day I called AA and spoke to the gentleman who had taken the original order. I explained the situation, incorrect decal, no instructions, still no invoice and was told, "I don't know these cars, I only know 911's. I asked the owner about it and he told me that was the correct decal"

Never here to support or defend AA and in this forum there are just as many happy customers and mad customers to all suppliers including 914 Rubber.

Not doubting the original posters complaint just saying don’t bash all our suppliers. Even George is a great asset to the 914 world IMHO
76-914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 20 2019, 06:51 AM) *

Never here to support or defend AA and in this forum there are just as many happy customers and mad customers to all suppliers including 914 Rubber. [/bYou taking bets on that?

Not doubting the original posters complaint just saying [b]don’t bash all our suppliers.
Read again. I counted only one; the usual one at that. Even George is could be a great asset to the 914 world IMHO

twistedstang
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 20 2019, 09:51 AM) *

Sometimes things are blown out of proportion‘s and when I see a newbie complaining and writing a book review about a small order it makes me wonder what’s going on really. Did someone really say this at AA? ..I only know 911s.

“The next day I called AA and spoke to the gentleman who had taken the original order. I explained the situation, incorrect decal, no instructions, still no invoice and was told, "I don't know these cars, I only know 911's. I asked the owner about it and he told me that was the correct decal"

Never here to support or defend AA and in this forum there are just as many happy customers and mad customers to all suppliers including 914 Rubber.

Not doubting the original posters complaint just saying don’t bash all our suppliers. Even George is a great asset to the 914 world IMHO

I agree with this for the most part ( you cant beat 914 Rubber). As far as the sticker not having instructions......I've also bought repro stickers when restoring a mustang. No instructions, no placement guidelines. Not their job.

I think it takes a fair amount of class for George not to comment on this thread but instead get with the customer to make things right and then go research a few of his cars for the sticker placement.

FWIW, I ordered new spindle nuts and thrust washers from AA this week. Parts were shipped quickly and I also didnt get instructions or placement diagrams..... lol
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 20 2019, 07:44 AM) *
You taking bets on that?

There are people who are unhappy with 914rubber. We've seen a couple of posts around here, and more on FB. Mind you, Mark and Bruce and the guys will pretty much always bend over backwards to make things right for people, but there are still people who complain.

--DD
Superhawk996

As far as the sticker not having instructions......I've also bought repro stickers when restoring a mustang. No instructions, no placement guidelines. Not their job.

I think it takes a fair amount of class for George not to comment on this thread but instead get with the customer to make things right and then go research a few of his cars for the sticker placement.

FWIW, I ordered new spindle nuts and thrust washers from AA this week. Parts were shipped quickly and I also didnt get instructions or placement diagrams..... lol

agree.gif

Been dealing with AA as far back as the 80’s. Overall positive experiences. I’ve worked retail. We all have bad days and no matter what you do someone isn’t happy.

I’ve ordered quite a bit of sheet metal from AA lately. No problem. I did order parts from AA via eBay and had a minor issue. AA made it right when it was politely brought to their intention. AA was there from the start and hasn’t survived this long by accident. love them or hate them, they have good days and bad days just like us.
Larmo63
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is an accurate description of AA.

I've only had bad experiences with them, but I'm glad some have had good.
Rob-O
I *kinda* get this. The no invoice thing after asking repeatedly would annoy me, too.

But the sticker being wrong...ummm...I thought I read you said you ordered the wrong sticker. George gets on the line and together you figure out what you really needed. Shouldn’t the transaction then have been you purchase the correct sticker right then, return the incorrectly ordered sticker at your convenience and then get your credit card reimbursed?

Not sticking up for George but I’m not sure he’s completely in the wrong on this transaction.

As for placement of the stickers I’m sure we could all help get it figured out.
gereed75
Don’t know George personally, don’t know all of the past history, have never ordered from them, have no horse in the race, butt....

You ordered a low dollar decal, had a problem and the owner of the business talked with you to help resolve the problem.

He talked with you - the owner - not a sales agent, not a guy in India. Cmon man, That is saying something.

VaccaRabite
There have been 3 threads I've found about this topic from the same guy. I closed one of them yesterday. Now I'm closing this one.

A-hole admin Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.