Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 sport muffler group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Everyone after many years of on again off again thinking about building these mufflers we built a 100%custom one for a member here. What I am proposing is sport mufflers are $725 shipped and stock like exit will be $650 shipped. If we reach 6 of one kind I will offer an additional discount TBD. Currently we only have 1.7 engines covered on this. I want to do a 2.0 but have yet to secure a sample to fixture off of.

A little data here is that the stock exit will be internally the same as my 911/914-6 based quiet muffler and the sport will be an adaptation of the sport mod information that is all over the internet to modify a 911 based muffler. All these mufflers will be 304 ss. Tail pipes will be removable on either model and come as 2.5" diameter.

Let me know if you have any questions attached is the prototype. Also note that the muffler body's will be straight not canted like the picture. Click to view attachment
sithot
Will it clear the valence on a '73 and later car?
mb911
QUOTE(sithot @ Mar 18 2019, 01:16 PM) *

If I go 2 inch on diameter of the tail pipes it will be very close.. I can also adjust the height if that is the overall goal so yes.
mb911
Here it is mountedClick to view attachment
02loftsmoor
I like the look.
RolinkHaus
Definitely interested in the 2.0.
pete000
I would love to see it fit the 1.8 SSi and be able to clear the stock rear valance.
mb911
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 19 2019, 05:03 PM) *

I would love to see it fit the 1.8 SSi and be able to clear the stock rear valance.

Isn't the 1.7 and 1.8 the same heat exchangers? I can position the body of the muffler lower in the body easy enough. Let me know happy to make a few more.
sithot
Would consider a 2.0 for sure but the valence needs to be cleared. Car is too nice to run naked. (no offense intended for those with naked rear ends) bootyshake.gif

This has to go. I have a great "original" date coded replacement but where's the fun in that?

Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
Looks killer, interested for sure. Nice work!
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 19 2019, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 19 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Isn't the 1.7 and 1.8 the same heat exchangers? I can position the body of the muffler lower in the body easy enough. Let me know happy to make a few more.

Yes, 1.7 & 1.8 are the same heat exchangers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Mar 19 2019, 02:14 PM) *

I like the look.

agree.gif
mb911
Guys it's not to difficult to adjust the height now that we have a baseline.

Interested in doing 2.0 cars so need to get a sample
DRPHIL914
any sound bites? I know you are shooting for the OEM replacement type so a more "quiet" muffler vs performance like Foley's, correct? how would you compare this to a Triad? I currently have SSHE(1.7 version) and triad and would really like to do a set of either "sport headers" or 2.0 HE, so this would basically mount up to either of those, correct? also what is your pricepoint? Yes I would consider one if I could get the tips to come out further, on both sides , like stock location left and same to the right . is that possible? If not will look to make a modified valance like a boxster center and just use what you have right there.
CMONNETT
I'm interested in one for a 2.0. I am curious how it sounds though.
Optimusglen

Love it, the look is great as-is to my eyes.

IPB Image

Excited to get mine, happy to provide a video with sound but my car is a 1911 with Webers. I assume it would be pretty close to a regular 1.7 and a 1.8 though.
Literati914
I suggest not making too many special changes from what you already have designed. It can drive you crazy trying to please everyone.. besides, it's a sport muffler, GT style - there are other muffler options if that's not what folks are looking for and not many choices for this style. Run valance-less, alter your valance ... Or maybe Mark can build and offer valances that work with these! I'd be interested in a 1.7/1.8 for my 2.0L 2056cc engine (1.7/1.8 SSHEs) - but sound clips would be welcomed first.
VaccaRabite
Those look great!

Zach
mb911
Guys sound clips will have to wait until Glen gets his.. No type 4s here right now. I do have one coming in about a month for a -6 conversion I am doing this summer so could get one before the engine gets pulled out. It will be here the week after Easter.
maf914
Great looking muffler, Ben.

While I understand the comments suggesting you not go overboard with optional configurations, I would like to see a 2.0L style with a single stock location tailpipe. I hope you can get a 2.0L muffler for dimensions. And I agree that a sound clip would be nice.
mb911
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 21 2019, 07:07 AM) *

Great looking muffler, Ben.

While I understand the comments suggesting you not go overboard with optional configurations, I would like to see a 2.0L style with a single stock location tailpipe. I hope you can get a 2.0L muffler for dimensions. And I agree that a sound clip would be nice.

@maf914 I referred to this in my 1st post. I will do a stock exit for both the 1.7 and 2.0 setups. They will be a quiet level muffler like my 2 in 1 out 911/914-6 muffler and then the sport tail pipes as an option like pictured. Sound clips will come forth no doubt.
Superhawk996
biggrin.gif Looks very nice.

Any chance you can post picture of what the clearance looks like to the heat exchanger flanges. Adequate working clearance for assembly?

Interested in 2.0L Sport. Hope you can find a donor. I have a heavily rusted Monza I'm sorry there is no help from me. confused24.gif
Cal
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 18 2019, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(sithot @ Mar 18 2019, 01:16 PM) *

If I go 2 inch on diameter of the tail pipes it will be very close.. I can also adjust the height if that is the overall goal so yes.

IMO....the sport model needs to clear the valance.

Optimusglen
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 21 2019, 09:17 PM) *

IMO....the sport model needs to clear the valance.

As Ben mentioned in post #8, it's straight forward for him to build to suit. These aren't coming off an automated assembly line. If you want one with the pipes below the valence, then specify that when you're ordering it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.