Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pointless ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
What's the best brand for pointless ignition for a 009 non vacuum advance distributor. I'm hearing per-tronix r not to reliable lately . Any suggestions .
roblav1
Distributors are "pointless" in a crank fire ignition world!
cpavlenko
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Mar 18 2019, 07:29 PM) *

Distributors are "pointless" in a crank fire ignition world!

I'm not understanding u?
oakdalecurtis
I installed a Crane XR700 about ten years ago. The car has never had a miss since then, best running improvement I’ve made so far.

Click to view attachment
roblav1
"Distributors are "pointless" in a crank fire ignition world!"

I was just playing with words... a pointless distributor... a distributor is pointless (not needed) itself if you go crankfire.

Bad humor!

gereed75
I have the crane optical “points” and XR700 also in my six with Bosch dizzy - cured a miss and very bouncy tach that I could not fix with any amount of fiddling using conventional points.

I suspect that the timing provided by this set up is more tolerant of wear in the distributor than points. Just my theory.
914Toy
Make sure you connect the wiring correctly, if reversed, you will "fry" the unit - ask me how I know!
cpavlenko
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Mar 18 2019, 08:43 PM) *

"Distributors are "pointless" in a crank fire ignition world!"

I was just playing with words... a pointless distributor... a distributor is pointless (not needed) itself if you go crankfire.

Bad humor!

laugh.gif
Mark Henry
009 isn't the best dizzy for a T4, I'd snag old mallory red cap dizzy and use a pertronix or unilight module.

With MSD you could run on a single set of points (no condenser), the points would almost last forever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.