Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blasted off the cobwebs... literally. Time to get this 3.0L going!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RichPugh
I haven't been on the 914World forums much in the last year or so. I went thru a separation from my wife back in October 2017. I'm much better off... save your condolences, LOL. The 914 was stuck in my [detached, non-conditioned, roof leaking] garage until around June 2018 and then I was finally able to move it (and my 993 and motorcycle) to the new place. I, then, just had to put it (and cars in general) on the back-burner for a while. Recently I've made it a point to make some time to tend to the garage and involve myself in the joy I get while playing with my cars... even if only going to Cars & Coffee on Saturday when the weather is dry and above 40f. I've been tinkering with my 993 some (suspension, wheels, steering wheel, etc.) but the 914 has literally been gathering dust, gaining cobwebs and being ignored.

Tonight I came home kinda early with the intention to just move the 914 to change a blown lightbulb over top of it and that snowballed into dusting it off, starting it, driving it a few miles up to grab some dinner and a drink, and finally back home to clean the glass, LOL. Boy, R888R's are harder tires than I remembered, haha.

Ignore the dumb crooked front plate thingy... Just wanted to share my Monday night pic after blasting the cobwebs off her and recharging my drive to get the 3.0L in her!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
whitetwinturbo
.........wow, that is VERY pretty beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
at first look I thought it’s Keith’s car. @914toy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
abes914
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Mar 18 2019, 09:21 PM) *

.........wow, that is VERY pretty beerchug.gif

Ditto ditto wub.gif
sixnotfour
Great Monday.. beerchug.gif
mb911
I will enjoy watching the build.
campbellcj
I think a lot of us kinda fade in-and-out of active 914 project/driving status. Life happens. Great to hear that it's rolling again and have fun w/ the upgrades
porschetub
QUOTE(RichPugh @ Mar 19 2019, 04:55 PM) *

I haven't been on the 914World forums much in the last year or so. I went thru a separation from my wife back in October 2017. I'm much better off... save your condolences, LOL. The 914 was stuck in my [detached, non-conditioned, roof leaking] garage until around June 2018 and then I was finally able to move it (and my 993 and motorcycle) to the new place. I, then, just had to put it (and cars in general) on the back-burner for a while. Recently I've made it a point to make some time to tend to the garage and involve myself in the joy I get while playing with my cars... even if only going to Cars & Coffee on Saturday when the weather is dry and above 40f. I've been tinkering with my 993 some (suspension, wheels, steering wheel, etc.) but the 914 has literally been gathering dust, gaining cobwebs and being ignored.

Tonight I came home kinda early with the intention to just move the 914 to change a blown lightbulb over top of it and that snowballed into dusting it off, starting it, driving it a few miles up to grab some dinner and a drink, and finally back home to clean the glass, LOL. Boy, R888R's are harder tires than I remembered, haha.

Ignore the dumb crooked front plate thingy... Just wanted to share my Monday night pic after blasting the cobwebs off her and recharging my drive to get the 3.0L in her!

Are you upgrading to a 6 or just upping the power from another one? nice car by the way beer.gif
Mikey914
Very nice, I find a good drive like meditation these cars really give you the feeling of just you and the road.

Welcome back .....
RichPugh
Are you upgrading to a 6 or just upping the power from another one? nice car by the way beer.gif

Thank you! beer3.gif It is a 2.0L-4 now. I’m Swapping/Upgrading to a 911 SC 3.0L w/ PMO EFI Throttle Bodies and Rasant engine management. It’s a drilled-hub 5 lug car currently but I just bought a nice 3.5” strut 5-lug setup w/ boxster calipers for the front so I’m gonna pull the old stuff off this week and clean up under the front of the car. I might commit to pulling the 2.0L engine too but not sure. It will force me to start cleaning up the engine bay. I’m still compiling my parts for the swap... holding out til after Hershey to get the last of it just in case I find any good deals there on things I need. But, I do have a lift and can jockey cars around in the garage so it can stay on the lift a while.
RichPugh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 20 2019, 01:57 AM) *

Very nice, I find a good drive like meditation these cars really give you the feeling of just you and the road.

Welcome back .....

Thanks! Yep... It’s nothing like the 993. It’s literally me, a steering wheel, the engine, a stiff shakey chassis, a sloppy shifting dog leg box and race tires, lol. I love it.
RichPugh
Tony at Translog took care of me. I knew it wasn't going to be a restoration level finish (the car had lots of previous crude repairs) and I told Tony not to go out of his way to make it look perfect, but Tony and the crew checked it out, repaired several problem areas, cleaned up a few things, welded in my Naro -6 mount, replaced the battery tray and support and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've been slowly putting it back together and should have a running, driving car sometime this winter.

Before
IPB Image

After
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif driving.gif
sb914
wub.gif that last photo !!
914dave
Glad to see her on the road!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 19 2019, 04:08 PM) *

Glad to see her on the road!!!

Yes, the more east coast teeners the better.
Jamie
QUOTE(RichPugh @ Nov 19 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Tony at Translog took care of me. I knew it wasn't going to be a restoration level finish (the car had lots of previous crude repairs) and I told Tony not to go out of his way to make it look perfect, but Tony and the crew checked it out, repaired several problem areas, cleaned up a few things, welded in my Naro -6 mount, replaced the battery tray and support and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've been slowly putting it back together and should have a running, driving car sometime this winter.

Before
IPB Image

After
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Be still, my beating heart, what an image! wub.gif
gereed75
Rich, Curious as to your thought process on choosing Rasant as your engine management supplier. I assume that will include an AEM ecu.

I am also about to choose an ECU and was leaning toward Rasant and AEM.
Mark Henry
Very cool! You will love the 3.0
RichPugh
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Nov 19 2019, 05:00 PM) *

Rich, Curious as to your thought process on choosing Rasant as your engine management supplier. I assume that will include an AEM ecu.

I am also about to choose an ECU and was leaning toward Rasant and AEM.

No question, Rasant is hands down the best plug & play engine management system out there. They have a clean integrated relay board for dedicated power to all the dedicated components, it’s got the best integrated crank/cam position sensor, coil-on-plug ignition, the wiring harness is perfect, the options for different engines are really customizable...

I went with the option for the MOTEC (M84) ECU from Rasant because it has dual lambda metering for both banks and has a really great interface for monitoring and tuning. It wasn’t that much more money so I just went for it.

I went with PMO throttle bodies but the Rasant throttle bodies and intake system is amazing. I just didn’t feel it was necessary.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.