Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modified 914 or 911 RS Type steering wheel (my version)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ValcoOscar
In the works....

I like these steering wheels with RS / GT type centers but even the 360mm Dia wheels are a tad big IMO

Honey...I'm shrinking my steering wheel. happy11.gif

To be continued.....

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mb911
Looks great.. I like it.
Dion
Nice going Oscar!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow what talent! Now are you going to cover it with leather? Another neat thing to do would be to paint it the color of the 914 (no I did not say that)
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 19 2019, 03:41 PM) *

wow what talent! Now are you going to cover it with leather? Another neat thing to do would be to paint it the color of the 914 (no I did not say that)

YES..leather wrapping after paint (Blk)

piratenanner.gif

Oscar
ndfrigi
good job and nicely done again sir Oscar!
914_7T3
Looking good Oscar!

Hope you didn't shrink the wrong wheel by mistake....

poke.gif
wes
I like it, shows talent.
Cairo94507
Excellent job Oscar. I really like it. Wish I would have thought of that before I had my steering wheel done. beerchug.gif
pete000
I have the same problem with the diameter. I cant fit the car with the large stock wheel. I have to switch to a MoMo to be able to drive the 914.

I love the proper look of the four spoke GT wheel, but its to big. I like your solution and would be all over a Group buy !

Can you make one for the factory Six column ???
sixnotfour
too funny , left overs are always useful..
914-300Hemi
Always amazing Work Oscar
drem914
Great Job Oscar! Glad to see you this weekend in El Segundo. Always amazed at all the different projects you are involved with. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Very clever...........!
LS1V8Jerry
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 19 2019, 08:59 PM) *

Very clever...........!

Looks like it needs a car to go on !!! piratenanner.gif
ValcoOscar
More photos showing size differences.

Opted not to modify look to much...sorry purists

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Retroracer
Looks great Oscar! How did you roll the outer? More pics pls!

- Tony
gereed75
Yes very cool. I have been thinking of a similar project and was going to make the wheel from scratch, never thought of using a stock wheel as a core, duh!

Also curious how you made or sourced the outside rim?

Thanks for posting
defianty
I like this a lot - great job. I too wish I'd thought of it before having my original one recovered.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 20 2019, 12:21 AM) *

Yes very cool. I have been thinking of a similar project and was going to make the wheel from scratch, never thought of using a stock wheel as a core, duh!

Also curious how you made or sourced the outside rim?

Thanks for posting

Likely some place like this:
http://www.jorgensonrolling.com/Rings_and_Flanges.html

Very cool, I'm collecting parts to do the /6 ignition switch mod, I have a Momo but I like this idea better.
But then it's hard for a cheap ass like me to spring for the hockey puck. wink.gif
sb914
Nice job Oscar!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 20 2019, 05:14 AM) *

Nice job Oscar!

agree.gif What creativity ! A sharkskin covering might enhance the grip... biggrin.gif
ValcoOscar
It took me several attempts and unfortunately I scrapped out two steering wheels in the process.

I played with different rim diameters until I settled on 340mm with 30mm grip. Tried .875 and 1.125 tubing but didn't care for look or feel. Too cartoonish. I didn't want to distort the overall look of the wheel. I also toyed with milling holes on all four spokes...looked good but I felt it weakened wheel so I tossed it. At the end I slotted the newly rolled rim and inserted reshaped spokes prior to tig welding. I would not recommend mig welding. Result was a stout modified wheel that felt right. I will share more photos once I finish paint and leather wrapping.

oh yeah...I formed tube ring in house but there are many metal rolling houses out there. I have a single seam on my finished ring. I tried welding two halves but not happy with results.

I need a few more for my other cars so If there is enough interest maybe I could do a very limited GB so we can leverage cost of leather wrapping.

Your thoughts?

Oscar

gereed75
My plan was to cut the rim portion out of flat stock and then laminate both side with some clear white pine to achieve a round cross section. The maybe advantage would be that you could replicate the blended rim to spoke transition of the stock wheel.

Additional advantage would be ease of MIG welding the flat circular rim to the flat spokes. It will all be covered.

Was also considering a slight center offset of maybe 3/4 to 1 inch to get added thigh clearance.

I have one of 914 Rubbers last plastic hockey puck cores from their aborted attempts to replicate the original. Not perfect but workable.

This has motivated me to get out my collection of steering wheel parts and get the project going. I would be in on a group covering buy.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 20 2019, 10:27 AM) *

It took me several attempts and unfortunately I scrapped out two steering wheels in the process.

I played with different rim diameters until I settled on 340mm with 30mm grip. Tried .875 and 1.125 tubing but didn't care for look or feel. Too cartoonish. I didn't want to distort the overall look of the wheel. I also toyed with milling holes on all four spokes...looked good but I felt it weakened wheel so I tossed it. At the end I slotted the newly rolled rim and inserted reshaped spokes prior to tig welding. I would not recommend mig welding. Result was a stout modified wheel that felt right. I will share more photos once I finish paint and leather wrapping.

oh yeah...I formed tube ring in house but there are many metal rolling houses out there. I have a single seam on my finished ring. I tried welding two halves but not happy with results.

I need a few more for my other cars so If there is enough interest maybe I could do a very limited GB so we can leverage cost of leather wrapping.

Your thoughts?

Oscar

Maybe offer it as a finished wheel and also as a DIY kit. idea.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 20 2019, 07:43 AM) *

My plan was to cut the rim portion out of flat stock and then laminate both side with some clear white pine to achieve a round cross section. The maybe advantage would be that you could replicate the blended rim to spoke transition of the stock wheel.

Additional advantage would be ease of MIG welding the flat circular rim to the flat spokes. It will all be covered.

Was also considering a slight center offset of maybe 3/4 to 1 inch to get added thigh clearance.

I have one of 914 Rubbers last plastic hockey puck cores from their aborted attempts to replicate the original. Not perfect but workable.

This has motivated me to get the project going. I would be in on a group covering buy.

I like this!!!! "Was also considering a slight center offset of maybe 3/4 to 1 inch to get added thigh clearance."

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif

Perhaps,

Oscar
11tenths
The offset idea is great for us tall guys-

JWest offers an eccentric wheel mount of 12mm vert and 16mm closer mounting;

http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/914/15-steeri...c-adapter.html#

I had to go with a MOMO and removable adapter to easily get in&out, but miss the look of the orig.

Keep up the good work Oscar- you're a valuable resource for us all.

-Harry
914Sixer
Here is a 911 candidate for you. 911 347 082 00 8/72
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 20 2019, 06:57 PM) *

I can use it....thx

Pm sent

Oscar
burton73
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 20 2019, 07:13 PM) *

I can use it....thx

Pm sent

Oscar

Hi Oscar,

I have been thinking of your steering wheel and wanted to point out some observation’s.

The new style wheel has a deeper offset and when you make them this way with the ring you lose the finger indents.

Now I am not passing judgments on that as far as whether or not it is better, but I do notice that it is not there. As an inventor in the plastic business for so many years I always think of things like this.

Maybe that's not there for a reason. A wheel could be poured in a casting urethane with the indents molded in and set to a given weight by using light fillers like micro balloons.

I am more than happy to go over this with you if you like.

Best regards,

Bob Burton
whitetwinturbo
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
porschetub
Great idea,like the larger diameter rim should have a great feel when covering is on,think it was on Pelican a guy used a 944 outer rim and 911 spokes.
I have a double wrapped wheel with hockey puck but I'am tall so found it a pain getting in and out of the car,I swapped out to a smaller aftermarket wheel with Momo adaptor but it is smaller diameter rim and not as good to hold...a trade off really.Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 20 2019, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 20 2019, 07:13 PM) *

I can use it....thx

Pm sent

Oscar

Hi Oscar,

I have been thinking of your steering wheel and wanted to point out some observation’s.

The new style wheel has a deeper offset and when you make them this way with the ring you lose the finger indents.

Now I am not passing judgments on that as far as whether or not it is better, but I do notice that it is not there. As an inventor in the plastic business for so many years I always think of things like this.

Maybe that's not there for a reason. A wheel could be poured in a casting urethane with the indents molded in and set to a given weight by using light fillers like micro balloons.

I am more than happy to go over this with you if you like.

Best regards,

Bob Burton

Appreciate your input Bob. Here's my version of finger indents with the help of my P50 Piranha iron worker.

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
This is outstanding Oscar! I love the look of the GT wheel, but don't like how thin the stock wheel is and is large it is, like a tractor or an old 50's pickup.

I like the version without the finger indents. Trying to replicate that completely would be very, very difficult.
sixnotfour
heres my modified Rial.... 370mm ,,,,914ish fashion its sprayed with bed liner..

or is it a Racemark , I did both
gereed75
Here’s my version. Different approach than Oscars. A bit smaller (13.5” OD) and I offset mine up about 3/4 inch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ValcoOscar
One finished.... dance.gif monkeydance.gif

30mm Grip/1.25" w leather covering
340mm Diameter/ 13.5"
40mm/1.5" Dished deeper than stock

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Oscar
sb914
That deserves a Oscar !
914Sixer
Looking good biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 9 2020, 07:03 PM) *

That deserves a Oscar !

That deserves an Oscar first.gif

mines full alloy beer.gif
wes
Very nice, you’re talent amazes me Oscar.
ValcoOscar
Finished one of my modified steering wheels for a special Bay Area member. Hope he likes it biggrin.gif

OscarClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
RickS
Really nice work.
Cairo94507
That looks terrific Oscar. They should be very pleased. beerchug.gif
914forme
Glad to see this moving forward, and well I like it a lot. If you GB some, let me know. I have a hockey puck looking for a good home.
SO.O.C914er
You never cease to amaze me Oscar! Your thinking and your resources are off the chart! smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif first.gif beerchug.gif ..... Paul
infraredcalvin
Oscar, that looks great, proportions are really spot on for such a small diameter wheel. I’d love to see pics installed.

I need another wheel like a hole in my head, but I’d also be interested in the group buy pricing if going that way...
wes
Excellent Oscar! I just Installed my stock size double rapped hokey puck wheel and although it looks great it’s just to big and not sure what my next move will be.
tygaboy
I got to see/sit in/grab the wheel Oscar sent to the lucky Northern CA member (not me).

Let me say: It's totally awesome. Looks great, feels great. Really great quality work all around. aktion035.gif pray.gif wub.gif

If you're thinking about one, you can stop thinking. Get one. You'll love it!
silverg
Great looking wheel
I have a donor wheel and a puck ready for your mod if you will do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.