Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daveviola
Has anyone added the external oil cooler that attaches to the transmission? I am running a stock 1.7 and wonder if this would help on very hot days.
Steve
I have only seen them on track cars.
daveviola
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 19 2019, 10:32 PM) *

thank you
IronHillRestorations
Several people have mounted auxiliary oil coolers under the rear trunk floor with a fan mounted directly to the cooler. To add the cooler you can use a filter adapter plate that goes on before the oil filter, it's got the ports for the send/return to the oil cooler.

If your 1.7 is running hot, it's probably due to something else, like a mouse nest in the engine tin, or scuzzed up oil cooler, or your engine is worn out and has excessive blow by.
GregAmy
Put in a camelcamelcamel watch for this item. Last week it was at $240 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIGEA0

Street car hits megatemps during the summer so I'm mounting this under the trunk. I've been dealing with this since I bought it, can't explain it. Even had Chris install his oil pressure relief kit and that didn't resolve it.

It's usually fine as long as ambient is 79-ish or below. But hit 81* and oil temps start climbing, eventually tickling the red (verified with the Mainly dipstick thermometer).
Steve
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 19 2019, 07:32 PM) *

Sorry, I thought you were referring to a trans cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.