Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Bumper Respray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Sanded and resprayed a pair of 73’ metal bumpers with SEM trim black and I’m wondering if I should also add a Satin Clearcoat. Thoughts on whether or not to add a clearcoat at all?

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 19 2019, 07:39 PM) *

Sanded and resprayed a pair of 73’ metal bumpers with SEM trim black and I’m wondering if I should also add a Satin Clearcoat. Thoughts on whether or not to add a clearcoat at all?

I don't clear my painted bumpers. But my cars are garaged in SoCal weather. Never an issue. Epoxy satin black.

Oscar
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 19 2019, 09:53 PM) *

I don't clear my painted bumpers. But my cars are garaged in SoCal weather. Never an issue. Epoxy satin black.

Oscar

Thanks for the feedback. Probably just keep em as is unless someone has a strong opinion one way or the other.
Mikey914
Easier to touch up
Mark Henry
The bumpers originally have a bit of texture, same as the roof and rockers. Many guys spray a very light coat of paintable gravel guard to get this texture, then topcoat.
DickSteinkamp
SEM Trim Black is meant as a finish coat. It is not your typical rattle can satin black (the price reflects this). Also, I'm not sure what clear (if any) would be compatible with it.
porbmw
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 20 2019, 06:05 AM) *

The bumpers originally have a bit of texture, same as the roof and rockers. Many guys spray a very light coat of paintable gravel guard to get this texture, then topcoat.

Sorry, Mark, I disagree (rather strongly) on this one.
IMHO, the texture was orange peel...I know there has been a lot of discussion on this...a few years ago.
Best is to go back to the "originality forum" and look at some pics...I think SMG posts.."the Sahara Beige car?"....or look at some panels that have never been repainted... and make your own decision beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(porbmw @ Mar 20 2019, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 20 2019, 06:05 AM) *

Sorry, Mark, I disagree (rather strongly) on this one.
IMHO, the texture was orange peel...I know there has been a lot of discussion on this...a few years ago.
Best is to go back to the "originality forum" and look at some pics...I think SMG posts.."the Sahara Beige car?"....or look at some panels that have never been repainted... and make your own decision beerchug.gif

Well guys I don't want to create waves on this topic but I noticed texture on about 8 bumpers when refurbishing 107 bumpers.

Original confused24.gif

Oscar

dr914@autoatlanta.com
no way, just semi gloss trim paint that has the flex agent in it

Click to view attachment
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2019, 11:17 AM) *

Curious why you would need/want a flex agent on a metal bumper?
bbrock
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 20 2019, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2019, 11:17 AM) *

Curious why you would need/want a flex agent on a metal bumper?

Don't know the answer, but SEM Trim Black is flexible already. Pretty fantastic paint and your bumper looks great BTW smilie_pokal.gif

One other note, it seems a lot of people use satin and semi-gloss interchangeably but I don't think they are the same. Satin seems correct for bumpers and rocker covers to me.
Literati914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 20 2019, 01:10 PM) *

One other note, it seems a lot of people use satin and semi-gloss interchangeably but I don't think they are the same. Satin seems correct for bumpers and rocker covers to me.

Could not agree more! It's a pet peave of mine... especially when people call satin, "flat" headbang.gif , which seems to be the norm (from my research of satin finishes specifically).

Stevie - the bumper looks great !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.