Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bezel rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
I've taken on a project for Mark where I'm repairing a tachometer and upgrading it to a hologram heads up display for his 2 cylinder motorcycle. Well, perhaps not heads up display on this one, but maybe on the next tach he sends me!

During the repairs, I cracked the chrome bezel ring. I think the Veglia rev counter company didn't do a proper annealing process when making these rings, as they are very easy to crack. To my amazement, there are suppliers online that will sell you replacement bezels. After ordering this replacement bezel, I got to talking with the person selling these and asked if he's willing to sell bezel rings for our 914 gauges. He seems very interested, I'm sure he can sell them as original black or chrome plated.

The bigger question would be, is there any interest in this? If it was sold in kit form, with new glass lenses?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hartmut at Palo Alto sells them, and he is out there for your west coast guys

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 20 2019, 11:20 AM) *

I've taken on a project for Mark where I'm repairing a tachometer and upgrading it to a hologram heads up display for his 2 cylinder motorcycle. Well, perhaps not heads up display on this one, but maybe on the next tach he sends me!

During the repairs, I cracked the chrome bezel ring. I think the Veglia rev counter company didn't do a proper annealing process when making these rings, as they are very easy to crack. To my amazement, there are suppliers online that will sell you replacement bezels. After ordering this replacement bezel, I got to talking with the person selling these and asked if he's willing to sell bezel rings for our 914 gauges. He seems very interested, I'm sure he can sell them as original black or chrome plated.

The bigger question would be, is there any interest in this? If it was sold in kit form, with new glass lenses?

ValcoOscar
Long overdue.....

Got my attention. Yes from me.

popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2019, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 20 2019, 11:20 AM) *

Got the runaround with that company years ago, they told me that they just reuse the old bezel and they had nothing new to sell me
jfort
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Mar 20 2019, 10:29 AM' post='2698421']

Hartmut is a good resource for us and has always done good work for me. I'd support him if you can.
mepstein
I had a very difficult time with palo alto with a set of ‘64 & 65 gauges. Cost was no object but apparently service was. When you add up time and cost to restore the old pieces, this is a great deal. Plus supporting “our 914 gauge guy””.

* What Timmothy didn’t mention is before I even sent him my gauge I told him that they always break upon removal. He said he would be careful but my expectation was a replacement would be needed. I’ve always been 100% satisfied with his work.
914Sixer
Tim,
Check Ebay, I saw some stuff. Try looking under VDO rings. May have to try Ebay.de (Germany)
n2j2ryan
I got a set out of the guy from Poland on the 914 Facebook page. Very happy with the fit and finish.
Superhawk996
Interested. piratenanner.gif

Someone painted my inside bezels and I intend to rebuild
iankarr
Thanks Tim.

What about the machne to crimp/remove? are those findable/rentable?
echocanyons
Plus one for Palo Alto Speedo, Hartmut is great and knows his stuff and the prices are realistic.

Depending on which year your gauge is I would switch to the early large bezel and a glass face.

bobboinski
I have also had good results with Palo Alto Speedometer, both with motorcycles and cars. As always your results may vary.....
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 20 2019, 07:36 PM) *

Thanks Tim.

What about the machne to crimp/remove? are those findable/rentable?

They are out there, but I think most machines are somewhat custom made for each gauge shop. I kinda like the simplicity of this machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvg_ewF8W9Q
Superhawk996
For those of you that have a lathe, same thing can be done in a large lathe chuck.

My lathe is too small to handle speedo / tach. I've had luck in the past with motorcycle gauges by carefully bending with a larger jewelers screwdriver about 100 times around the bezel periphery.

@bbrock may have a slick solution. I think he mentioned that he had swapped plastic lenses for glass and I'm sure he didn't have a pretty machine like this. biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 22 2019, 09:19 AM) *

For those of you that have a lathe, same thing can be done in a large lathe chuck.

My lathe is too small to handle speedo / tach. I've had luck in the past with motorcycle gauges by carefully bending with a larger jewelers screwdriver about 100 times around the bezel periphery.

@bbrock may have a slick solution. I think he mentioned that he had swapped plastic lenses for glass and I'm sure he didn't have a pretty machine like this. biggrin.gif

I bought the Bezel-Matic-3000 on ebay for $500 biggrin.gif Of course I didn't use fancy tools but nothing ingenious. I used the same solution as you - small screw driver and patience. Once I got a little bit lifted I then dragged the screw driver under the lip as much as I could in small segments at a time to roll the lip out smoothly. Done carefully, you'll barely be able to see you were in there and that will be only from the back. It doesn't even take that much time. Maybe 10-15 minutes per bezel. Lots of people have done it.
mepstein
I’m guessing the issue for Timmothy is besides the 15 minutes per ring is the couple week turnaround to have them powdercoated. Easier to have a supply of new ones sitting on the bench.
76-914
You don't need to open them up 360 degrees. Usually a little more than 50% and it should lift off. agree.gif Timothy is the man! beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2019, 09:55 AM) *

I’m guessing the issue for Timmothy is besides the 15 minutes per ring is the couple week turnaround to have them powdercoated. Easier to have a supply of new ones sitting on the bench.

agree.gif for sure! I was just responding to the suggestion I might have figured out a fancy way for us DIYers to get inside those gauges. No way would I use that method in any sort of production environment.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 22 2019, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2019, 09:55 AM) *

agree.gif for sure! I was just responding to the suggestion I might have figured out a fancy way for us DIYers to get inside those gauges. No way would I use that method in any sort of production environment.

Trust me. I’m in awe of your work and progress.
timothy_nd28
I have seen work done by both North Hollywood and Palo Alto gauge restoration companies when doing my LED upgrades, both do awesome work equally.

This kit is geared more toward the DIY types on this forum. If this India company can reproduce the dual piece bezel system, accurately, that includes glass lenses and all for under 50 bucks, I can't think of a quicker or cheaper way to enhance the focal point of our interior.
DRPHIL914
not sure where i got these aluminum ones but it was a few years ago and they look pretty good
StratPlayer
Probably got those from a member here that used to make them Spunone. No longer on the board, sold his 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.