Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Failure Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
The journey continues with the purchase of the new 4 element bulbs for the truck. Got the new set of lights installed. One fog light bulb DOA. Contacted seller and got a new one on the way. Bulb arrived yesterday, plugged it in DOA. lol-2.gif Contacted seller again, two new ones on the way this time. High failure rate must be acceptable to quality control.
Spoke
Bummer. They never lit up or lit up then quickly died?
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 21 2019, 10:13 AM) *

Bummer. They never lit up or lit up then quickly died?

Make sure you check the "bad" bulb in another base (that is if they have bases) if it lights up the base is possibly bad. (archaic lighting knowledge from before LED's...)
914Sixer
Never lit up. I tested the socket with old school bulb and a 2 element LED and both worked.
Superhawk996
Just a thought. idea.gif

LED's are a Light Emitting Diode. Diodes only conduct in one direction. LED's only conduct with proper polarity applied.

Take one of the DOA ones and reverse polarity and see if it works. China quality control being what it is, they may have the terminal connections within the LED reversed.

Long shot but what do you have to loose? Now if it works you still have a problem because I'd never suggest reversing polarity on the vehicle.

More of a science experiment.
rhodyguy
Seems like a lot of work for some lumens.
914Sixer
Plugs on the LED's are directional and only go one way. But that does not mean they were not wired backwards. I will give it a test later today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.