Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Iffy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chip
First Start :

Fuel pump not working when ignition turned on. Fuel pump works when connected to an independent battery. Wiring to pump is ok.
Questions:
Shouldn't pump come on with ignition?
Shouldn't pump stay on while vehicle running?

Could it be s relay? Where is the "Main Relay."
Other possibilities...,
Thank you. wacko.gif
Dave_Darling
What fuel system is on the car? Carbs, 1.7/2.0 D-jetronic, 1.8 L-jetronic (not available originally in a 73), or something else?

--DD
Chip
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 21 2019, 10:43 PM) *

What fuel system is on the car? Carbs, 1.7/2.0 D-jetronic, 1.8 L-jetronic (not available originally in a 73), or something else?

--DD

It's a D-jetronic system, 1.7. Fuel pump is not working when ignition is turned on. Pump works (hums) when attached directly to independent battery. Pump moved to front. Perhaps a relay? Where? Fuses ok. Wiring seems to be ok.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
falcor75
The relay should be on the board in the engine bay left side.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=286801
TheCabinetmaker
Fuse on relay board controls the pump. Also, the 12 pin connector can be installed one pin off. Like said above, relay.
Dave_Darling
OK, a few things going on.

First, D-jet pump. The way that the stock D-jet setup works is that the ECU will tell the pump to run for about 1.5 seconds when the key goes from "off" to "on". It will also tell the pump to run while the starter is cranking, and any time the engine is turning over at ~150 RPM or greater.

The ECU does this by grounding a particular pin in the four-pin plug on the relay board, making the fuel pump relay close and send power out to the pump.

Your pump was relocated. Sometimes people decide they don't want to bother running new wires through the center tunnel when they move the pump. So they pick some switched power source and tap off of that to power the pump. In these particular cases, the pump would run the whole time the key is on.

So your first job is to trace the pump wiring. Is it going into the center tunnel to connect in to the original fuel pump wiring? Or is it going to the fuse panel directly, or tapping into some other wire, or what?

--DD
porschetub
Just been thru the B.S.with my car,pretty much same situation,replaced the fuel pump relay and the pump worked for a short time,finally turned out to be the power relay for the F.I.,I should have known better but didn't expect 2 relay failures in a row sad.gif .
These parts are old now and have done many cycles and the contacts inside get burnt and stick at least that what I found when I opened them up.
Don't dismiss a bad ignition switch,however you will most likely have other stuff not working when it fails.
Chip
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 22 2019, 11:46 AM) *

OK, a few things going on.

First, D-jet pump. The way that the stock D-jet setup works is that the ECU will tell the pump to run for about 1.5 seconds when the key goes from "off" to "on". It will also tell the pump to run while the starter is cranking, and any time the engine is turning over at ~150 RPM or greater.

The ECU does this by grounding a particular pin in the four-pin plug on the relay board, making the fuel pump relay close and send power out to the pump.

Your pump was relocated. Sometimes people decide they don't want to bother running new wires through the center tunnel when they move the pump. So they pick some switched power source and tap off of that to power the pump. In these particular cases, the pump would run the whole time the key is on.

So your first job is to trace the pump wiring. Is it going into the center tunnel to connect in to the original fuel pump wiring? Or is it going to the fuse panel directly, or tapping into some other wire, or what?

--DD

thanks, Dave. You are so kind to reply. I'm old and frustrated, but want to push on. I believe the red wire is one of four that has been soldered to the + side of the battery cable, runs down the inside of the rocker panel in a 3/4" rubber tube, direct to the + on the pump. The - wire is connected to a bolt on the frame/tube, to the - terminal of pump. I am not dead certain of this, but will confirm today.
Chip
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 22 2019, 12:32 PM) *

Just been thru the B.S.with my car,pretty much same situation,replaced the fuel pump relay and the pump worked for a short time,finally turned out to be the power relay for the F.I.,I should have known better but didn't expect 2 relay failures in a row sad.gif .
These parts are old now and have done many cycles and the contacts inside get burnt and stick at least that what I found when I opened them up.
Don't dismiss a bad ignition switch,however you will most likely have other stuff not working when it fails.

Good! The relay board is flat, in the drivers's side corner of the engine with the black plastic cover yeah? Can you determine which relay is which? Also, two white fuses are there. I'll check it all out, and thanks so much. You guys are all I have and I want to get this car running! Thank you,
Chip/Utah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.