Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
guys, whats a good size for tires for 8" and 9" wheels?

i was thinking 245/50/15 for the 8" and 285/40/15 for the 9".
any objections or comments?

as always, your expert opinion is very welcome!

Andy

ps: i have the GT flares and i've been thinking about having
my 7" cookie-cutters widened to 8/9 ...
Mueller
Andy......

I'm not sure if you can find 285/50-15's anymore. I think Pirelli was the only manufacture of that size.

On my C2, I am running 225 on the front 8's and 255's on the rear 9's.
(17's)

In fact, finding tires wider than 225's in a 15 rim is getting harder and harder.

You might want to step up to 16's...
SirAndy
yeah, i had the 285/40/15 on 9" on my vw-bug and they were Pirelli's smile.gif
but that's 10 years ago ... hum ...
SirAndy
i just found seven different types of 295/50-15 on http://www.tirerack.com/.

Yokohama, Goodyear, Firestone, Dunlop, BFGoodrich, Bridgestone

and they range from $68 to $98 per tire.

has anyone here any experience with 295 on 9" or any commants on the manufactures ???

later,
Andy
Jeroen
Too late...
I just took a set of 285's to the dump last week (after taking up space in my garage for over 5 years)
They came off the 10" wheels of my '84 VW Scirocco...

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
Cool car Jeroen.....why you make fun of my yellow guy i do not know smile.gif

Andy,

Just down the row from us at Dunkels a guy had a set of three piece BBS with brand new 225/50/15s and 285/40/15's.....i was going to offer him 200 for everything which i bet he would have accepted since he said he's had them for so long sitting in his garage...i just don't see myself doing the 5-bolt conversion soon.

My opinion on those tires?? They belong on a El Camino with the ass-end jacked up 2 feet higher than the front tongue.gif

The diameter of that size is 26.7 which is pretty tall....but I do not know what size you are running now. If you did go for those tires I'd get the 245/60's in the front....that way the diameter is sorta close and the ass-end of the car will not look too high or odd.

Another thing you need to find out is does the tire manufacture of the rear tires make the same type tire for the front...I would not run different brand tires on the front and rear at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.