Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank retrofit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Starting the restoration on my 75/76’ and I’m curious if I can use my 76’ gas tank on my 73’?? The 73’s got a bit of leak near the bottom of the tank and the wife refuses to let it sleep in the garage piratenanner.gif
Steve
Yes it will work. I know someone that has one on a 72. The late tank also works better with the gas station hoses.
mepstein
I don’t think the late tank has a bracket for the charcoal filter but that can be worked around. Better to have a non leaking tank.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2019, 07:27 AM) *

I don’t think the late tank has a bracket for the charcoal filter but that can be worked around. Better to have a non leaking tank.

That is a good point.. If your using the late tank, you also have to plan on using all the late ancillary parts.. Expansion tank and charcoal canister, because the brackets are different.
Some people people are anal on keeping the stock look with metal gas cap. I like the later tank because in California, we have smaller gas station hoses that are a bitch to use with early tanks.
Chi-town
You can get a brand new tank from Dansk for about $180 shipped. It's a late style without the canister mount.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes just the evaporative and charcoal canister brackets are different

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 23 2019, 05:57 AM) *

Starting the restoration on my 75/76’ and I’m curious if I can use my 76’ gas tank on my 73’?? The 73’s got a bit of leak near the bottom of the tank and the wife refuses to let it sleep in the garage piratenanner.gif
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 23 2019, 12:12 PM) *

You can get a brand new tank from Dansk for about $180 shipped. It's a late style without the canister mount.

Can’t seem to find a new one or reconditioned for less than $300. I can stomach $180 shipped if I can find it.
Thanks!!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 23 2019, 12:25 PM) *

yes just the evaporative and charcoal canister brackets are different

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 23 2019, 05:57 AM) *

Might work out best for me there as I picked up a late model canister to refurb with new charcoal media. Thanks!
Chris914n6
You might just need new seals on the fittings. A member here sells the correct type & size.

Also the hoses are different sizes so you have to take the fittings apart anyways.
Amphicar770
The new ones are $207 at Sierra Madre. Dang, when did those become available? Cost me more than that to have my tank cleaned and sealed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 23 2019, 10:52 AM) *
The new ones are $207 at Sierra Madre. Dang, when did those become available? Cost me more than that to have my tank cleaned and sealed.

agree.gif

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Fuel-Tank...-76-p54267.html

This seems like a great deal ...
idea.gif

MiniStevieG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2019, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 23 2019, 10:52 AM) *

agree.gif

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Fuel-Tank...-76-p54267.html

This seems like a great deal ...
idea.gif

Solid! That’s the way I’m going. Thanks y’all!
914Sixer
I have a new Dansk tank in the box. You are going to have to turn the mount on the top around to make evaporator work. Has to be cut off and re welded.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 23 2019, 06:39 PM) *

I have a new Dansk tank in the box. You are going to have to turn the mount on the top around to make evaporator work. Has to be cut off and re welded.

Well that sucks a little thanks for the info. Might hold off now till I find something different.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 24 2019, 10:18 AM) *

Well that sucks a little thanks for the info. Might hold off now till I find something different.

Went ahead and pulled the tank out of my 75’ today. It appears to be in very good shape so I’ll be putting it in my 73’ for the time being. Question on the fuel lines however, Fuel hoses are 8mm (return) and 9.5mm (supply) correct?

I’m going to go ahead and replace the tunnel lines with stainless steel while I’m in there as well. I’d like to clean the tank before installing so what product do you all recommend?
Thanks everyone.
mepstein
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 25 2019, 10:41 PM) *

Went ahead and pulled the tank out of my 75’ today. It appears to be in very good shape so I’ll be putting it in my 73’ for the time being. Question on the fuel lines however, Fuel hoses are 8mm (return) and 9.5mm (supply) correct?

I’m going to go ahead and replace the tunnel lines with stainless steel while I’m in there as well. I’d like to clean the tank before installing so what product do you all recommend?
Thanks everyone.

Evaporust, Apple cider vinegar, ect. Once you clean it, neutralize with baking soda and water, dry and then swish around some MMO - marvel mystery oil..

I don't use any liner or coating, neither did Porsche.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2019, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks everyone.

Evaporust, Apple cider vinegar, ect. Once you clean it, neutralize with baking soda and water, dry and then swish around some MMO - marvel mystery oil..

Good stuff thanks. Empty out the MMO after swishing or leave it in?
Chi-town
I do have a clean early tank if you need one
mepstein
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 25 2019, 11:19 PM) *

Thanks everyone.

A lot of people use a small amount of mmo in every tank of gas so a little bit won’t hurt anything. I would just pour our excess and save it for later tanks of gas if it looks clean.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2019, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 25 2019, 11:19 PM) *

Thanks everyone.

A lot of people use a small amount of mmo in every tank of gas so a little bit won’t hurt anything. I would just pour our excess and save it for later tanks of gas if it looks clean.

Great thanks!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 25 2019, 10:24 PM) *

I do have a clean early tank if you need one

Sent you a PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.