Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Window Deflector - wind noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grosbard
I am thinking of ways to reduce wind noise while driving on the highway. It's not too bad right now, but I would like to improve it so that I can have a conversation on a long drive having to raise my voice quite so much.

As I see it, reducing wind noise sort of has 2 components:
1. With the windows closed - because the windows don't seal perfectly, there is still significant noise coming into the car
2. With the windows open or partially open - i guess this would be buffeting?

Of course sealing the windows as well as possible will help with #1, but not #2. So I was thinking, is there a solution that helps both? Basically something that deflects the wind so it goes around the car instead of trying to get into the cabin.

Has anybody tried something like this?:
https://www.weathertech.com/side-window-deflectors/

If so, did it help? Can you recommend a brand? I'm well aware it will probably not look great, but I can live with that.
mepstein
I have found that opening the passenger window a couple inches changes the amount of noise significantly for the better. Everybody has their own sensitivity to wind noise. I remember driving with the windows up but the top off on long drives.
Between tire, wind, carbs and exhaust, my car was never quiet. My current, closer to stock 1.7 with FI and stock exhaust is much better. My 3.2 with 2x2 R exhaust sounds like a race car.
Tom_T
You can usually cut down the wind noise with open windows by adjusting their gap & doing at least a small gap open on the opposite side too.

If on noisy when closed, then is sounds like you'll be better off spending the money on new window seals/gaskets, which will also stop leaks in our rust-prone 914s.

Then once you get all the wind noise cut down - you'll still have that very noisy & rambunctious 914 motor noise, which I suppose you could do an EV conversion for complete talkability while driving! biggrin.gif

Other than the widow tricks & seals above - you're talking about a 1970's +/-44-50 year old classic aircooled Porsche targa top sports car - which is just going to be noisier than modern cars! shades.gif

IMHO - it's also a waste of time & money to put a fancy hi-tech sound system in a 914 or any classic car which isn't sound proofed/deadened like the modern cars. You're just NOT going to be able to enjoy much audio beyond the old school radios of the 914's era. So no headbanging rock! aktion035.gif dry.gif

BTW - IMHO it's also a waste to do so in the 1960s-92 Westy & other VW Vans of both ABX & WBX flavors too! blink.gif

Just enjoy the music of that motor & driving! driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jamie
I have Weathertech window deflectors on my Cayman and Cayenne, but they're not available for our antique 914's. I don't see how they could be added with the configuration of the windows and removable top. . I don't consider the wind noise so objectionable on the Interstates, but I really don't do much long distance driving, except to Okteenerfests! This is another reason I can't understand why anyone would waste money for a high end sound system in a teener! driving.gif
mepstein
My sound system in my 914 was by no means high end or even medium end but it was nice to have. Good tunes and cars go together.

I have often thought about how to handle longer trips in the teener. I honestly didn’t like anything longer than an hour or two when it was my daily driver in the 80’s. Though maybe not legal, simple foam earplugs is one option. When I used to fly in my dad’s plane, we used them for longer trips. Even more likely to be illegal, nose canceling headphones might be the ticket. I’m not suggesting around town but long stretches of highway.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2019, 12:00 PM) *
Good tunes and cars go together.

agree.gif

Back to the OP, you used to be able to buy a pillar wind deflectors for the 70s/80s G body 911. Not sure exactly how they worked with the rain gutter, but it was supposed to quiet down the wind noise. Perhaps you could find a set and modify? confused24.gif
PanelBilly
I wear headphones.
PanelBilly
Have a set for my wife too. Makes for a quiet ride
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 25 2019, 01:08 AM) *

I wear headphones.

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 25 2019, 01:09 AM) *

Have a set for my wife too. Makes for a quiet ride

A ball gag would also help. happy11.gif

Oh yes I did! av-943.gif
Mark Henry
Don't tell my wife I said that.... unsure.gif
Grosbard
@infraredcalvin Thanks for the info!

Yeah, that's basically the thought process I had. I assumed it would be impossible to find something specific to the 914 whether it be from the period or not, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a modern generic wind deflector that would be easy to modify, or even better that is close enough to work without modifications. Again, appearance isn't that important to me.

I figured a convertible like the Miata or Boxster would be a good place to look, but I couldn't find anything for those cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.