Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bastard Alt Pulley
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
This bastard alternator pulley won't budge. I'll have to pull one out of the stash since this one is hosed now. I even put the oxy-acetelyne on it and got it HOT! No budge. Oh well.

McMark
It laughed at my 5 lb sledge. ar15.gif But check out how mushroomed the threaded section is. I beat it silly.
toecutter
I had a similar party with my alternator. I used a two arm puller and bent the sucker. Much cursing followed. I was able to straighten it out enough after I got it off. Lots of penetrating oil!
Mark Henry
Most of the time they come off easy, but I've also run into this...

Almost like it's welded on smash.gif
E-Man
Penetrant overnight, attach three-arm puller, add heat to pulley until it's red-hot (oxy-acetylene, MAPP not hot enough), and it WILL pop off.
I battled this little bastard before without a torch and it just seemed to smile back at me. -Mike
McMark
Yeah, the next one I will penetrating oil, hook up a three jaw puller, and then heat and tighten the puller. I'lll keep you posted.

I'm glad I have extras or I'd be pissed right now.
Trekkor
I'm glad the beer thread followed this one.

Not vice-versa... lol2.gif beer3.gif

KT
McMark
Well my spare was a whole nother world. Sprayed penetrating oil on and let it sit for 30 minutes. Put the three jaw on and didn't even have to use a wrench to pull it off. Slid right off like it's supposed to. boldblue.gif From now on, any alternator that goes in the spares pile is getting a shot of oil before anything else. Heck, I'd even recommend it as routine maintenance whenever you have the engine dropped and access to the pulley nut. Back to work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.