Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Info needed - hole size of main electrical snorkel boot on the shelf
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bdstone914
A member here contact me regarding the 914 Rubber snorkel boot being too small at the top to engage the hole in the shelf on his 1973 914.
I measured a 71 car which was 31mm and a 73 car which was 34mm.
Trying to see when Porsche changed it and did it stay at 34mm from 1973 and on.
Please measure the hole size of the hole in the shelf ( which requires the grommet to not be in place ) and report the year and hole size. Will be interested in the 914-6 size too to see if they had the same small 31mm hole as the early 914.

Thanks in advance
Bruce
SirAndy
Not sure when exactly they changed but yes, earlier cars have a smaller hole ...
shades.gif
Chris914n6
42mm on a 75.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 26 2019, 06:09 PM) *

42mm on a 75.

Thanks Chris.
I am thinking 73 is probably the first year for the larger hole and snorkle. But it may have been on some 72's as a lot changed on that year.
jcd914
75 & 76 the hole was also moved a little closer to to center where the shelf is a little wider.
I ran into this while attempting to install a snorkel from a 75 into a 72.
There is not enough room on the shelf where the 72 hole is to open it up for the 75/76 snorkel.
I ended up get a repro snorkel from 914rubber and not using the 75 snorkel.
Somewhere I have a picture of the 2 snorkels side by side.

Jim
barefoot
I purchased one from 914 Rubber for my 76 & found it was too small to fit the hole in the shelf. I also had to do some surgery to get all the wires thru as the ID's were too small
I didn't know there was a source for the 75-76 version.
Luke M
My 1970 914-6 has a 31 mm engine shelf hole. Not sure if this helps you out Bruce but you can add it to the list.
SirAndy
It does make sense as the cars were getting more and more extra electrical "stuff" over the years which required more wires in the main harness.
idea.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 28 2019, 06:05 AM) *

I purchased one from 914 Rubber for my 76 & found it was too small to fit the hole in the shelf. I also had to do some surgery to get all the wires thru as the ID's were too small
I didn't know there was a source for the 75-76 version.

I don't know of a source for the 75/76 snorkel, I was splicing the rear half of a 75 harness into my 72 914. When I couldn't get the 75 snorkel into the engine shelf, I started doing some research. I found a couple of mentions of size differences and a few pictures that showed 75/76 snorkel position in the engine shelf different that others.

I ended up using the 914rubber reproduction snorkel.

Here are a couple pictures showing the 75 snorkel I removed and teh 914rubber snorkel.

Jim

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.