Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aw Nuts! Studs n' Fuchs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Does anyone know the correct "pressure"... er,.. torque value.......... in Ft. lbs that a steel nuts on a Fuchs wheel will align properly to on a five bolt stud pattern?

Having lost a front wheel on the freeway (in 74 in a 71 with four bolt Fuchs) at full speed, I would like to get this one correct...... So, 5 bolt Fuchs, steel nuts, and a decent torue wrench at all times traveling....

Sidebar: Back in the day, in 1974 my 1.7 with four bolt Fuchs on all corners lost a wheel on the Tulsa to OKC freeway at around 75 mph. The right front wheel left the scene, passed up my right bulging eyeball which in that instant, popped out of my head to see WTF.gif just left the building, then, in a younger more calm state, I coasted to the shoulder w/o mashing the brakes.

At 6-4 /200 lbs, the mid engine and I never ground the front brake shield to planet earth.

I walked up the freeway to retrieve a couple of lugnuts and the wheel down the pike - mounted the wheel and limped home.........

Moral of the Sidebar: If you ever mess with your wheels in in any way shape or lugnut....PUT YOUR TORQUE WRENCH IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AND DONT START THE CAR UNTIL ALL CORNERS ARE DOUBLE CHECKED......... beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Mar 26 2019, 04:58 PM) *

Does anyone know the correct "pressure"... er,.. torque value.......... in Ft. lbs that a steel nuts on a Fuchs wheel will align properly to on a five bolt stud pattern?

Having lost a front wheel on the freeway (in 74 in a 71 with four bolt Fuchs) at full speed, I would like to get this one correct...... So, 5 bolt Fuchs, steel nuts, and a decent torue wrench at all times traveling....

Sidebar: Back in the day, in 1974 my 1.7 with four bolt Fuchs on all corners lost a wheel on the Tulsa to OKC freeway at around 75 mph. The right front wheel left the scene, passed up my right bulging eyeball which in that instant, popped out of my head to see WTF.gif just left the building, then, in a younger more calm state, I coasted to the shoulder w/o mashing the brakes.

At 6-4 /200 lbs, the mid engine and I never ground the front brake shield to planet earth.

I walked up the freeway to retrieve a couple of lugnuts and the wheel down the pike - mounted the wheel and limped home.........

Moral of the Sidebar: If you ever mess with your wheels in in any way shape or lugnut....PUT YOUR TORQUE WRENCH IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AND DONT START THE CAR UNTIL ALL CORNERS ARE DOUBLE CHECKED......... beerchug.gif

First off...there are different styles of lug bolts or nuts depending on the rim.

Always use the correct style for that wheel with the correct torque.

If you have "converted" your rims that were designed to take lug bolts with a seat style and replaced them with lug nuts of a different style seat then you run a risk of losing that wheel in spite of the torque on the nut or bolt.

Just saying.

SirAndy
I'm using open ended steel lugnuts on my aluminum Cookie Cutter wheels and i torque them to 100lbs which is above the recommended 95lbs (i think) for the aluminum lugnuts.

smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2019, 08:20 PM) *

I'm using open ended steel lugnuts on my aluminum Cookie Cutter wheels and i torque them to 100lbs which is above the recommended 95lbs (i think) for the aluminum lugnuts.

smile.gif

Exactly what I do. Steel open nuts. 90-100lbs.
914_teener
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...PWGA8HHwKAai-aN

Talk to these folks Forrest.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 26 2019, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 26 2019, 08:20 PM) *

smile.gif

Exactly what I do. Steel open nuts. 90-100lbs.

Same. cheer.gif
Krieger
Steele open nuts 96 ft lbs
Literati914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 26 2019, 07:04 PM) *

First off...there are different styles of lug bolts or nuts depending on the rim.

Always use the correct style for that wheel with the correct torque.
Just saying.

Teener's right... yours may be correct but just in case - They need to have a 14mm radius'd ball seat (look for "R14" description). The RAD USA bolts are available as 10.9 class bolts too aktion035.gif .
914Toy
95 ft/lbs.kk
Coondog
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 26 2019, 06:59 PM) *

Steele open nuts 96 ft lbs

That’s what I was told
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.