Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Suspension Shock Nut Tightening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
So I can't figure out how to get a 27mm socket/torque wrench on this nut. The brake shield fastening feature is in the way with only 2" of clearance.

Do I have to cut the socket to fit or is there one I can purchase? Or does one just use an open ended wrench and approximate the torque?

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Approximate it.

--DD
Chi-town
You can buy a 1/2" drive crows foot that will work, or save $100 and just make sure it's tight
wndsrfr
If I recall correctly you have to do it at ride height and just lean on it good and hard it has a lock washer so it's not going to come loose
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 27 2019, 12:33 AM) *

You can buy a 1/2" drive crows foot that will work, or save $100 and just make sure it's tight

agree.gif

If you put the crows foot at 90* you wont have to recalculate the torques settings.
using it straight on you will.

It makes more of a difference with a longer extension and a short torque wrench.
mepstein
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 27 2019, 08:04 AM) *

If I recall correctly you have to do it at ride height and just lean on it good and hard it has a lock washer so it's not going to come loose

agree.gif I've never taken apart one that has been loose but some of them sure have been tight.
90quattrocoupe
If you are going to use a crows foot, use a flare nut crows foot. It has less of a chance of slipping off the nut.

IPB Image
mlindner
Just use a box wrench. Even a standard will work.
Mark Henry
Two of the most important tools I own is my finely tuned torque arm and my mark 1 eyeball.

Best not to ask what I hang my work light on. biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 26 2019, 07:37 PM) *

Approximate it.

--DD

Bingo. Get used to what that amount of torque feels like on something else, and use whatever wrench/socket fits.
Rand
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 28 2019, 12:31 PM) *

Two of the most important tools I own is my finely tuned torque arm and my mark 1 eyeball.

Best not to ask what I hang my work light on. biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif
Yep, another vote for getting used to what torque feels like.
mb911
I use blue 242 loctite and just tighten with a wrench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.