Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Baffle Plate Fitment Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Trying to wrap up my 2056 build off of a 1.7 case. Has anyone had an issue getting the air baffle plates to fit with the 96mm cylinders? These are the little cooling tin pieces tucked under the cylinders on both sides. The 3/4 one seems to fit, but the 1/2 piece, which I know is different, will not. The "ribs" on the piece are interfering a bit with the cooling fins on the cylinders. I'm happy to grind the tin down a bit to get it to fit, but I'm hoping this isn't an indicator that I've done something else wrong in terms of assembly.

I DID have .035" shaved off the bottom of the cylinders to get proper deck height, and I can see where that may have contributed.

I believe the baffle pieces are unique L/R but are the same across all years.

TIA beerchug.gif
mgphoto
Add a photo, but I seem to recall the parts are identical from side to side.
BeatNavy
Pretty sure they are different (different part numbers) L/R:

Baffle plate 021 119 319 ®
Baffle plate 021 119 320 (L)

I can try to get pics later.
Dave_Darling
The parts are different from side to side.

I'm guessing that shaving down the barrel is the major contributor here. I'd be tempted to pick up an extra for that side, then trim to fit. The extra one would be for when I f***ed up the first one, or for when I discovered that something else was going on so I needed an original part again.

--DD
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 27 2019, 05:27 PM) *

The extra one would be for when I f***ed up the first one, or for when I discovered that something else was going on so I needed an original part again.

--DD

agree.gif

Hate when that happens.

BTW.

I don't remember having to trim the deflector when I did the 2056. Used AA cylinders.

Or could be I just don't remember.......
BeatNavy
Thanks fellas. I'll probably go ahead and judiciously grind the rib back so it fits.

Hopefully nothing else going on...
914Sixer
All the baffels are the same. They were NOT designed for 96mm barrels. You have to modify them to fit the jugs. They are an important part of the cooling system. I covered this a couple of years back.
Mark Henry
Bend the case tabs.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 27 2019, 10:14 PM) *

All the baffels are the same. They were NOT designed for 96mm barrels. You have to modify them to fit the jugs. They are an important part of the cooling system. I covered this a couple of years back.

This is good info. I tried to search for it on the site, but didn't come up with anything. Hopefully someone else will find it (or this thread) next time.

Some judicious snipping and sanding and I think I've got it fitting ok. I did bend the tabs as well, thanks Mark.

Engine tin is funny stuff. Between different versions of Type 4, and it being bent and flexed over the years, it seems like it's always at least a little bit of a struggle to get something on correctly, although this is the first time I've had to cut something.

As always, thanks for the shared wisdom from all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.