Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found this in the factory manual
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
So in refurbishing my steering column, I stumble across this little ditty in the Factory Workshop Manual. I am adding intermittent to a car that didn't originally have it, but I can't see what the hell they are talking about. Maybe that 'plastic nose' is already gone from my car? confused24.gif Anyone have a clue what they are talking about?

Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
Its a little tiny black plastic piece that stops you from pulling it past the stop position. Without a picture I can't see if you have it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 27 2019, 01:41 PM) *
Anyone have a clue what they are talking about?

Yes ...

Since the intermittent relay is optional they added a small plastic tab to the steering column cover that prevents the windshield wiper stalk to be moved to the intermittent position.

When you install the intermittent relay and harness (in the front trunk) you can simply break off the tab to allow the stalk to be moved further to actuate the contact to send power to the relay (or ground the relay, forget which way the power goes on that one).
bye1.gif
Valy
The blinker and wipers switches stack together. There is a small tab (nose) on the blinker switch that prevents the wiper switch to go into the intermittent position (down one step from closed). You'll see what I'm talking about when you stack them together.
You need to brake that tab off to allow the wipers switch to go into the intermittent position.

From a different perspective, the wipers switch has 4 positions. When tested outside the car, you can move the handle to all 4 of them. When mounted in the car, you can only move it into 3 positions, unless said tab is removed.
SirAndy
Here's a pic of the (optional) intermittent relay socket (without the relay in place). The socket and harness mount on the drivers side cowl support above the tank.
The harness plugs into your windshield wiper control and on later cars there will be a brown/black wire in the main harness that comes from the steering column stalk and needs to be plugged into the socket. This will switch the relay.

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup break stuff
Steve
Glad we have interpreters on this site. That statement in the Manuel got lost in translation.
bbrock
You guys are smart cheer.gif The tab was already broken off on mine for some reason, but enough of a remnant remained that with your help, I was able to see where it was and what it did. The car definitely didn't have intermittent. I made my own relay harness when I was refurbishing all my other harnesses. Thanks for the help! cheer.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.