Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 liter Fuch wheel center cap install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zfisher6164
Any ideas besides using a rubber hammer and caution to install new center caps into
2.0 liter fuchs wheels?

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Your hand. Make a fist. Use the soft part of your flesh by your pinky (the heel?) To gently tap in.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a soft rubber hammer, sand the hole to make sure that it is clean of debris and corrosion, and then grease the cap and the hole. Tap home on the sides of the cap where it is strong
Mark Henry
My buddy said made a tool out of plastic drain pipe, said it sits on the flange lip of the cap, I haven't tried it yet.

Same guy had ratty caps, he's a machinist, so he made two aluminum (IIRC) dies and pressed them back to shape. He did a good job and they look damn fine to me.
mepstein
Buy a pvc cap at the hardware store that fits on the edge of the front - install and one that fits the id of the back - removal. tap the pvc with a hammer. Always remove the cap before you have tires installed or they will use a screwdriver to remove. headbang.gif
zfisher6164
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Buy a pvc cap at the hardware store that fits on the edge of the front - install and one that fits the id of the back - removal. tap the pvc with a hammer. Always remove the cap before you have tires installed or they will use a screwdriver to remove. headbang.gif

Thanks for all the help I will try hand right now then after that the PVC
thanks
90quattrocoupe
Off. Front edge slightly sanded to fit inner taper.

IPB Image

on.

IPB Image
simonjb
I agree with the above if you have the original caps.

If you have new repos - they are much more robust and heavy duty . I ended up cutting slits in the bearing side of the cap so that when I used a rubber mallet they went it snug
larryM
guy has a tool for that FS on PCA SVR classifieds - look in any recent copy of the drifter (pdf download )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.