Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th & 5th gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteelerMike77
confused24.gif
I have a 74 914 1.8 that I got in the end of Jan. No problems shifting, nice and smooth. Yesterday, however I could NOT get it to go into 4th without multiple tries, and fiddling. Any thoughts/ideas?
There is NO grinding or anything, all gears are smooth...???
THANKS
mepstein
Check all the plastic bushings. They get hard, old, crack, crumble, etc.
They are cheap to replace and almost always improve shifting.
rhodyguy
Double check the set screws at the front and rear rod knuckle and at the rear.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2019, 02:36 PM) *

Check all the plastic bushings. They get hard, old, crack, crumble, etc.
They are cheap to replace and almost always improve shifting.

Thanks, are they located at the end of the shifter? I’m sorry still learning things.... sad.gif
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 28 2019, 02:54 PM) *

Where exactly are those located? Sorry to ask- still trying to learn.
Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
1. shifter bushing broke
2 set screws are loose
3 clutch tube broke
4 shift base bolt came loose

QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Mar 28 2019, 11:30 AM) *

confused24.gif
I have a 74 914 1.8 that I got in the end of Jan. No problems shifting, nice and smooth. Yesterday, however I could NOT get it to go into 4th without multiple tries, and fiddling. Any thoughts/ideas?
There is NO grinding or anything, all gears are smooth...???
THANKS

SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 28 2019, 11:54 AM) *

agree.gif
Sounds like one of the set-screws has come lose ...

Start with the one on the main coupler, from under the car look where the shift-rod exists the rear firewall.
There should be a rubber protective boot over the coupler, move that out of the way and look for a small set-screw.
It should be tight. If not, remove it and add a dab of (red) loctite into the threads and fasten again (small metric Allen wrench, can't remember the size).

If it has completely backed out, you might get lucky and find it inside the rubber boot.
bye1.gif
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 28 2019, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 28 2019, 11:54 AM) *

agree.gif
Sounds like one of the set-screws has come lose ...

Start with the one on the main coupler, from under the car look where the shift-rod exists the rear firewall.
There should be a rubber protective boot over the coupler, move that out of the way and look for a small set-screw.
It should be tight. If not, remove it and add a dab of (red) loctite into the threads and fasten again (small metric Allen wrench, can't remember the size).

If it has completely backed out, you might get lucky and find it inside the rubber boot.
bye1.gif

Thanks to all that responded. So very helpful! It WAS. The set screw, unreal, such a simple thing. Thanks again piratenanner.gif
rhodyguy
BTW, the stock set screws are considered a one time use item.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 29 2019, 07:05 AM) *

BTW, the stock set screws are considered a one time use item.

agree.gif

That is correct, new setscrews have extra material inside the threads that act as a thread-locker. Which technically makes them one-time use only.

That's why i said above to add a dab of red loctite, otherwise the screw will back out again.
bye1.gif

@SteelerMike77

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.