Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Lever Knob Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
My heater knob had faded to pink and although I'd bought a reproduction to replace it I thought I'd see if there was any way to bring life back to the original.

With little effort it is possible to restore the colour.

Firstly I rubbed down the pink areas a fine grade wet and dry and then with a small mop attachment and some polishing compound on my dremmel the colour started to return.

To be honest I didn't think it would work and stupidly I didn't take any before photos.

However I found this picture online and mine didn't look too dissimilar.

IPB Image

After amount 20 minutes it now looks like this.

IPB Image

Nice simple job if you want to polish your own knob. biggrin.gif
Beebo Kanelle
Brilliant!
jagalyn
Nice job...
Tom_T
Yes it works, but have to use 1000 -2000 grit wet-dry, then finish buffing as you did.

And you can also use the bottle Meguires or similar plastic polish to bring back faded plastics, because it's usually a surface layer(s) effect only.

The polish is available at local FLAPS & is a finer grit along the lines of 2000 - which is hard to get except at auto body suppliers.

It's good for polishing your knob! laugh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
Nice work! I used all three grades of Novus plastic scratch remover and polish to bring mine back. Mine was quite as bad as the one in your pic, but close. Looks like new now. Only real trick was doing it without the wife catching me. happy11.gif
mepstein
You can also do your shift knob if it's not too far gone but go easy on the clear face. A buffing wheel will take it away fast. The clear is softer than the black plastic.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 29 2019, 04:20 PM) *

Nice work! I used all three grades of Novus plastic scratch remover and polish to bring mine back. Mine was quite as bad as the one in your pic, but close. Looks like new now. Only real trick was doing it without the wife catching me. happy11.gif

I did it whilst the wife was at work, just to play it safe av-943.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 29 2019, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 29 2019, 04:20 PM) *

I did it whilst the wife was at work, just to play it safe av-943.gif

idea.gif Here's an idea......have the wife do it for you! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.