Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 originality question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mountainroads
A local shop is busy fixing some of the "work" that another local shop performed. I'm not happy about having to do that. PM me for details, if you want more info.

Although no concours or originality queen, I asked the shop owner if he could smear some of that undercoating/tar around the front shock towers while the car was in his shop, since that is supposed to be one of the defining characteristics of a -6. He said no problem, he'd look into it.

He called back the other day and said: "I looked at my car and it doesn't have what you describe. Happy to do it, but are you sure and can you send me a pic?" I asked if he was certain the stuff hadn't been removed at some point and he said he was positive. I've seen his car. It's a 40K mile, original paint, unmolested survivor. I have no reason to doubt either his expertise or knowledge of the car's history.

So..., is it possible that some sixes left the factory without that stuff? Yes, I already looked in the -6 originality and front trunk threads here and couldn't find a picture or definitive answer. Input on subject and if someone could post a pic, it would greatly appreciated. Also, cad or zinc-plated mounting hardware? TIA.

- MR
914Sixer
Can't be 100% sure but every -6 car I have seen has globed undercoat on strut tower. It followed the 911 practice to do so, since the engine and suspension were installed on the 911 assembly line.
mountainroads
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 29 2019, 10:57 AM) *

Can't be 100% sure but every -6 car I have seen has globed undercoat on strut tower. It followed the 911 practice to do so, since the engine and suspension were installed on the 911 assembly line.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Or, at least done at the same factory. It's possible the shop owner's car might not be as original as he thinks and I don't know if he bought it new, but he's certainly knowledgeable and a well-respected guy.

Anyone with a pic I could show him would be most appreciated. Thanks.

- MR
toolguy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 29 2019, 10:57 AM) *

Correct. . All six's had the tar. .brushed on same as that era 911's
The other distinguishing item was the 914-6 has grey front struts.
altitude411

Click to view attachment
altitude411
my six also has these strut covers that I don't often see in photos/strut hardware over sprayed by PO

* please forgive the dirt/dust. This was taken after a twenty year nap
altitude411
another reference
mountainroads
Gents: Thank you very much for the corroborating info and the pics. Much appreciated!

- MR
davep
I think it was more likely removed by the first owner as something he/she perceived as unsightly. Less likely is the possibility that the factory allowed it to slip through without the tar. Race cars are most likely to not have the tar.
mepstein
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 30 2019, 08:19 AM) *

I think it was more likely removed by the first owner as something he/she perceived as unsightly. Less likely is the possibility that the factory allowed it to slip through without the tar. Race cars are most likely to not have the tar.

Dave - I'm sure you are right on either guess. Sometimes thing are done early in a cars lifetime and never recorded. And for every Porsche "rule" there is an exception. We see hundreds of 911's through our shop and once in a while, something is different even though it shouldn't be. We'll ask the original owner what's up and he will tell us that's how it was delivered.
mountainroads
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2019, 05:28 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 30 2019, 08:19 AM) *

Dave - I'm sure you are right on either guess. Sometimes thing are done early in a cars lifetime and never recorded. And for every Porsche "rule" there is an exception. We see hundreds of 911's through our shop and once in a while, something is different even though it shouldn't be. We'll ask the original owner what's up and he will tell us that's how it was delivered.

Again: Thanks to all for chiming in and the pics to show what should be done. Greatly appreciated.

- MR
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Mar 29 2019, 09:41 PM) *

Gents: Thank you very much for the corroborating info and the pics. Much appreciated!

- MR

Have him take a pic of his -6 , for reference..no goo
@mountainroads
mountainroads
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2019, 10:43 AM) *

- MR

@mountainroads

Good idea. I'll ask him to do that next time I'm there. Do it myself if he drove his car to the shop again.

- MR
mountainroads
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2019, 10:43 AM) *

- MR

@mountainroads

An update: Was at the shop the other day checking progress and talked to the owner's son. Turns out Dad's car is not quite as original as I thought. Low mileage and definitely stock, but son told me Dad's car had in fact been repainted. That said, he was pretty sure that only the outside was repainted and neither trunk had been touched. Which, still leaves the question of why no tar.

Dad's pretty much retired and only comes in occasionally to cover, so getting a pic will be tough. I'll ask if one of them would be kind enough to take one for possible reference, although at this point I'm going to assume that tar was removed instead of being a unicorn.

- MR
SirAndy
Bit late to the party but here's a pic from my /6 ...
beerchug.gif

mountainroads
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2019, 11:39 AM) *

Bit late to the party but here's a pic from my /6 ...
beerchug.gif

Thank you *Sir* !!

- MR
davep
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Apr 5 2019, 08:51 AM) *

An update: Was at the shop the other day checking progress and talked to the owner's son. Turns out Dad's car is not quite as original as I thought. Low mileage and definitely stock, but son told me Dad's car had in fact been repainted. That said, he was pretty sure that only the outside was repainted and neither trunk had been touched. Which, still leaves the question of why no tar.

Check the area where the VIN is stamped on the inner fender. If the VIN is painted over in body color then it has been repainted. Original finish appears to have the VIN taped over before painting, then the tape removed to leave a rectangular area in grey. Since this area does not rust quickly there may be a clear coating over the VIN stamping. In general, the body color inside the trunk is not of the same quality as on the outer surfaces.
sixnotfour
smile.gif Sixes are a bit different or special
davep
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 8 2019, 07:42 AM) *

smile.gif Sixes are a bit different or special

That is correct. I looked at the 40 images of the VIN stamps for 914/6 I have, and they are all over the place. I am uncertain as to which ones represent an original appearance. Some, for sure, have been over-restored, and others just had paint slathered on them.
Cairo94507
Here is a picture of my Six- tar still present at the time I bought it.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Porsche wanted to “waterproof” the assembly. It’s on all 911’s. We leave it off our project 911’s. They are not daily drivers and the tar looks messy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.