Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Mallory Unilite Optical Distributer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jim_hoyland
$300 shipped with voltage spike protector.
Bought the Unilte from Tangerine Racing several years ago. Replaced it recently with the 1-2-3 Distributer.
Runs fine and is a major upgrade from the original Distributer; engine ran cooler, no pinging, and smooth performance across the entire RPM range.
I used the unit on my '75 L-Jet that s built to 2056.
The 4 cylinder models are NLA, but replacement optical modules are available.
jim_hoyland
Here is some of the Mallory info provided on their old web site:

“ Mallory Distributor, Centrifugal Only, Unilite, 4554101 is an Optical Pickup Distributor with a velvety smooth centrifugal advance. This distributor does NOT have vacuum advance, so it can be used on non-vac equipped carburetors.

For VW applications, we recommend the Grey/Grey spring upgrade. If you select the $15 Upgrade to Grey/Grey Springs NO INSTALL and you will get the springs in a baggie, but YOU have to install them. If you select the $35 Setup Mallory Distributor with Grey/Grey Springs, we will install the Grey/Grey spring combination along with doing the rest of the distributor setup procedure. You can also have us do the Setup procedure with either the STOCK SPRINGS in place, OR, if you also purchase the Spring Kit (sold separately) at the same time as the Distributor, we will do the setup and install the Grey/Grey springs from the kit during setup.

This distributor requires a coil resistance of 1.5 Ohms or greater, OR it can be used to trigger a CDI Box (like a Mallory Hyfire). If you are not sure of your coil's resistance, measure it to prevent Unilite Module Damage!
Fully adjustable centrifugal advance (if you get the optional spring kit), and you can adjust how much advance you have, AND how fast (and when) it comes it by loosening the centrifugal stops held in place with an Allen setscrew. Centrifugal timing is adjustable between 16-32 crank degrees. The spring kit gives you 14 different advance curves, for a LOT of tunability.
Each of these can be further tuned by slightly bending the centrifugal spring mounting tab (this loosens or tightens the spring a little, and advances or retards the advance curve by up to 300 RPM from the spring's setting). We prefer to set it at about 8 degrees initial (too much means tough starting when the engine is hot), and have the centrifugal advance limited so it totals 28 degrees (36 for Semi-hemi engines), set up so the advance comes in sooner than the 009. The faster initial advance WILL give a crisper throttle (many race cars run LOCKED 30-32 degrees, for example) and more power from idle-3000, with less/no hesitation.
The Mallory Cap is larger than stock distributor cap to prevent cross firing, and uses STOCK type plug wires (You have to buy special wires with MSD and Pertronix Distributors).
The Unilites look VERY different than other distributors, they are slightly bigger, measuring 3 1/8" diameter from the distributor clamp to the top of the distributor cap. This also fits the T-4 engines, even with the stock cooling tin, provided you use the stock oil pressure sending unit. IF you use a VDO sending unit (gauge, etc), you need to get a sending unit relocation kit from us.
The Unilite distributors are optically triggered (not magnetic). The Unilite system requires 3 connections, 12V (coil +), ground, and trigger (to coil -). They are designed to drive any coil with an impedance greater than 1.5 ohms, so you can run it stand alone with a coil, OR trigger a CD box (Jacob's, MSD, Mallory, Universal, Tiger, etc).
Basically, the Unilite distributor is like having a fully adjustable distributor, with the inclusion of a Pertronix/Compufire built in! "
cashiersjm
If still available, I'll take it. Let me know where to send payment

Thanks, Jim
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cashiersjm @ Mar 29 2019, 02:43 PM) *

If still available, I'll take it. Let me know where to send payment

Thanks, Jim

PM sent with payment info

Thank you
cashiersjm
many thanks, payment sent.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cashiersjm @ Mar 29 2019, 07:10 PM) *

many thanks, payment sent.

Got it. Will box up and drop off at PO tomorrow or Monday
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.