Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust removal pro tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjv914
Luckily my battery tray has good integrity, but I am struggling to remove all the rust before I paint it. Sandpaper, wire wheel, media blasting with alum oxide all have contributed but the hole under the battery tray in particular is tricky to get at. Any pro tips?
sholman5
I'm doing the same thing. Pulled the engine for a clean up. New seals, tins repainted etc. Since it is out and one of the reasons I dropped the engine. Personally I am going to replace the tray and support. If you plan on using the old tray and support. Get some spot weld bits, remove the tray and support. It will you give an opportunity to clean up the back side of the support and the area benath. Take your time and do it right. If you come to a road block, ask questions. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Usually you'll get a consensus on the right thing to do. Goodluck and enjoy. 914s are a labor of love.
Click to view attachment
pjv914
Hmm, remove the tray eh? I like it. I'll keep after it and will post when done
mlindner
pjv914. when I started cleaning my car I tried every thing.....wasn't any fun until I bought this from Harbor Freight. It's the extend angle grinder...then take a wire wheel and cut the post off and drill a hole. Great for getting in all the tight spots, rust, undercoating, cleaning up welds, inside fender wells. Made the project fun again. MarkClick to view attachment
mlindner
Also post this over on Pelican....down at the bottom Misc. Body and Paint. I got lots of good help from them.
pjv914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 31 2019, 04:23 AM) *

pjv914. when I started cleaning my car I tried every thing.....wasn't any fun until I bought this from Harbor Freight. It's the extend angle grinder...then take a wire wheel and cut the post of and drill a hole. Great for getting in all the tight spots, rust, undercoating, cleaning up welds, inside fender wells. Made the project fun again. Mark

thank you mark, this is the exact type of tip I am looking for! Will give it a try...appreciate the tip to try the pelican forum also

cheers
Costa05
I include this stuff (Home Depot) for converting any remaining tuff to get to rust. Brush it on with a small paint brush let sit for 5 to 10 min. Use small hand wire brushes and gloves. Multiple applications. Finally rinse with water in a spray bottle and blow it dry with hot air gun.
Click to view attachment

Use this plywood/fir strip/moving blanket setup underneath to capture any drip mess and to protect your concrete garage floors.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.