Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjusting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Maybe i am late to the party. But this is new to me.
Maybe they have not put any on a car. The video is a cartoon. If they work, show them on a car. Called snap gap.
Video
Beebo Kanelle
Coming out in May 2019 for the air-cooled 6.

Next will be for the air-cooled VW & 914

https://snapgap.us/
Mark Henry
Not sure if I'd want those little bits in my engine. Or should be saying installing the little bits in my engine. unsure.gif
How much?

I bought a Kirk Engine gap adjustment tool, about $75.
Made for 911 but I'm going to try it on a stock T4 shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1H9WNRC_Yc
gereed75
Ok. Looks pretty cool. Wonder what the weight of the shim and Snap gap lock nut is compared to stock lock nut??
Krieger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 31 2019, 06:35 AM) *

Not sure if I'd want those little bits in my engine. Or should be saying installing the little bits in my engine. unsure.gif
How much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1H9WNRC_Yc

Mark, let us know how it goes. I wonder how hard it would be to use on a 914-6. I image you couldn't fit this on some on the exhaust side. Maybe hard to see gauge settings on intake side?
bandjoey
And I can barely get my tools and hands in to adjust the four-cylinder valves I don't see how I could use this tool in such limited space Engine out of the car would be a breeze
fixer34
Watched the video, pretty ingenious actually. I'm trying to think of any negatives, but nothing comes to mind.

Now if they could come up with a way to do the exhaust valves on a -6 without removing the heat exchangers...
troth
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 31 2019, 09:35 AM) *

How much?

@Mark Henry
Came across these Kirk tools recently but all the reviews seem to be from 911 guys. Did you ever get around to using them on the T4?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(troth @ Mar 18 2020, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 31 2019, 09:35 AM) *

How much?

@Mark Henry
Came across these Kirk tools recently but all the reviews seem to be from 911 guys. Did you ever get around to using them on the T4?

Won't work on 10mm screws, works OK on 1.7 8mm screws. The big thing is the tool must be square on the screw head, then you adjust the leg to help keep it square.

I haven't tried it on a 914/4 engine in car, but I can see having clearance issues trying adjust #4 valves. Might work how I sometimes adjust 914 valves on the car lift, I undo the cables and shift rod and using my trans jack I drop the engine nose down.
andreic
Unless the tool has gone through some revisions, it does not work with the engine in the car. There is not enough room to position the torque wrench. Maybe with a very specialized, small torque wrench it may work. But I was not able to adjust even the rearmost vzlves, where access is easiest. The seller was kind enough and refunded my purchase cost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.