Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Failure points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Some momentos of Porsche 914 failure points
Others ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we all now have had such great experience with the 914s that if they remade the car in its exact form, we could all come up with improvements that would really help without destroying the original nature of the almost perfect car. For example, putting a permanently lubricated pivot bearing in the trunk hinge bolt, using a plastic box for the battery, putting speakers in the doors for great sound, installing a pointless distributor, changing the offset of the wheels to fit 7 inch under the stock fender wells, etc
Mikey914
We are working to eliminate weak points with changes to materials and slight modifications.
Examples

Outer door seals
Solid neoprene -cant hold water in the door channel

Inner door seals
Made with stainless steel not carbon so will no other rust
We do this on all co extruded parts actually

Use of Delrin for many bushings to wear better.

Solider stainless trailing are pivot shafts.

We even made slight modifications to our 1st part the rear engine seal. Making the legs slightly longer and the bulb slightly larger to make a nice tight fit.

Just something we do as a manufacturer. Why just copy a part when it can be improved upon?
rgalla9146
Wow.
Not the responses I expected or intended
Mikey914
Honestly,
The failure points only be come an issue over time. The Hell hole is the biggest design issue I can think of. It is only because of overcharging and crud not being cleaned out, and or removal of rain tray.

Most of the other issues are consumables, such as suspension parts, For the most part these cars are built very well.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If only they had made the drain hole bigger and did not plug it with a weep seal
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 1 2019, 12:48 PM) *

Honestly,
The failure points only be come an issue over time. The Hell hole is the biggest design issue I can think of. It is only because of overcharging and crud not being cleaned out, and or removal of rain tray.

Most of the other issues are consumables, such as suspension parts, For the most part these cars are built very well.
burton73
The correct clutch cable tube so it does not crack and break welds at the rear of the center channel, as well as the internal clutch tube supports. They all seem to do this in a given amount of time. Especially if there is a high-Performance clutch

Bob B
mepstein
If only they had made it in stainless steel. drooley.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 1 2019, 10:40 PM) *

The correct clutch cable tube so it does not crack and break welds at the rear of the center channel, as well as the internal clutch tube supports. They all seem to do this in a given amount of time. Especially if there is a high-Performance clutch

Bob B

While I have personal experience with broken clutch tube, that part should not be carrying thrust if the cable is properly attached at the tranny pully bracket, or am i mis-informed ??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
good one, they did not reinforce the tube brackets well enough

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 1 2019, 07:40 PM) *

Bob B

dr914@autoatlanta.com
or at least galvanized. Funny, we have 944s in our salvage yard that have perfect bodies and they have been out in the weather for years, Not so with the 914. Good one

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 08:03 PM) *

If only they had made it in stainless steel. drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.