Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Strut?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dwillouby
Had the car idling in the garage yesterday with the front hood open.
It has a V8 with a big cam so I get some vibration setting there.
What I notice it a rattling sound from the top of the drivers front strut. I can free the vibration by placing my hand on the strut top. Nothing seems loose.
Haven't investigated further yet but think I may need a strut insert?
If so I do I tell what type I need? I have 911 struts S calipers mounted if that helps.

Thanks David
dr914@autoatlanta.com
maybe the insert nut is loose?

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Apr 1 2019, 09:23 AM) *

Had the car idling in the garage yesterday with the front hood open.
It has a V8 with a big cam so I get some vibration setting there.
What I notice it a rattling sound from the top of the drivers front strut. I can free the vibration by placing my hand on the strut top. Nothing seems loose.
Haven't investigated further yet but think I may need a strut insert?
If so I do I tell what type I need? I have 911 struts S calipers mounted if that helps.

Thanks David

mepstein
Drop the strut out of the top mounting point. This can be done without removing the brake lines. Be careful at the fender not to scratch the paint. Take off the top dust cap and make sure the cap on the strut is screwed in tight. If it is, and you decide on new inserts, post a pic and we can tell quickly what you will need. you could have boge struts with boge inserts, boge struts with bilstein inserts or bilstein struts with bilstein inserts. One pic of the whole assembly and identification will be easy. You should change both sides if you decide to replace.
jd74914
I'd bet on loose insert top nut too. A bad insert just won't dampen road vibrations well; there aren't too many pieces to break inside so they usually don't have stuff rattling around inside.
dwillouby
Thanks for the replies. Will check it out this weekend.

David
dwillouby
Thanks for the info. the strut nut was loose.
Was a bitch getting the strut back into the upper mount. Had to drill & tap for a 6mm bolt to help pull up into the mount.Click to view attachment

This gives me a clue as to the strut type I have.

Thanks

David
whitetwinturbo
.......where's a picture of your V8 car poke.gif

beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
orthobiz
Tutorial in the Lapuwali area of this site:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=288552

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.