Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preliminary autopsy report.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Mike Hyde's old teen had 96x80mm 2316, one carb got stuck at WOT during a spirited launch and the engine popped. Mike decided he was out and now the '72 teen is my wife's new car.

Only have it down to the longblock, I checked almost everything out, thought for sure it was a spun rod, if you jiggled the flywheel (.2-.300" ) you heard/felt something banging. Before I had noticed the fan was loose and the hub pin was broken. idea.gif
Looked at the fan hub, jiggled the flywheel....the fan hub didn't move. WTF.gif

Broken crank, could be a rod journal, my bet is it's the center main.
Good chance the rest of the engine might be OK, just needs a new bearings, crank and rods.

I could post a pic but it just looks like a bare longblock. bootyshake.gif

@peteyd @mrhyde
Mark Henry
dp
Mark Henry
The cell phone evidence of the incident that lead to the engines early death.
Yeah quality sucks.
Vid courtesy of Pete at Restoration Design, it happened right in front of RD's shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-Y9wCDwIE
Mblizzard
This is what mine looked like.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Likely this one will look the same except it's a 80mm stroke CW welded crank from Raby/DPR.

Did yours still turn over? This one does.
Mike actually got the engine to run when he was trying to figure out what was wrong.
Of course it didn't run very good. biggrin.gif

bretth
So in this instance would a RPM limiting distributor rotor have prevented this? If so I am going to invest in a few.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 2 2019, 09:32 AM) *

So in this instance would a RPM limiting distributor rotor have prevented this? If so I am going to invest in a few.

Maybe, hard to do an over rev like this on a stock engine. A rev limiter won't stop a mechanical over rev, such as blowing a downshift.
If you look at Mike Blizzard's pic that's a 2.0 crank with smaller rod journals, main reason on stroker cranks I like the bigger T1 rod journals of the 78mm over the smaller 2" chevy or T4 2.0 journals. But in this case it wouldn't of helped.

The cause was he modified the 44mm Weber carbs with a cable linkage, the WOT travel stop was missing on one carb. The butterflies on this carb went pass WOT and got stuck.
The broke crank was the result.

Inspecting a failed engine is much like an autopsy, you have to look beyond the failure and find out why it failed in the first place.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 2 2019, 05:20 AM) *

Likely this one will look the same except it's a 80mm stroke CW welded crank from Raby/DPR.

Did yours still turn over? This one does.
Mike actually got the engine to run when he was trying to figure out what was wrong.
Of course it didn't run very good. biggrin.gif

It would still turn over but not run. For me I was doing 20 mph in a school zone when it let go. Hard to earn any street crew in that situation!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 2 2019, 06:19 AM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 2 2019, 09:32 AM) *

Maybe, hard to do an over rev like this on a stock engine. A rev limiter won't stop a mechanical over rev, such as blowing a downshift.
If you look at Mike Blizzard's pic that's a 2.0 crank with smaller rod journals, main reason on stroker cranks I like the bigger T1 rod journals of the 78mm over the smaller 2" chevy or T4 2.0 journals. But in this case it wouldn't of helped.

The cause was he modified the 44mm Weber carbs with a cable linkage, the WOT travel stop was missing on one carb. The butterflies on this carb went pass WOT and got stuck.
The broke crank was the result.

Inspecting a failed engine is much like an autopsy, you have to look beyond the failure and find out why it failed in the first place.

Went with T1 journals on this version for sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.