Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Build / Conversion Stuff (+Front Oil Cooler and Exhaust Louvers ++)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roblav1
1) I found this at McMaster Carr and ordered it:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/693

Painted Steel Return Grille for 8" x 14" Duct

$7.23, a good price.

Intent is weld it into the floor. Will let you know how it works out.

I intend aluminum ductwork using floating nut plates. If at all possible, I'm going to try and fit the front intake cutout under the stock bumper.

2) Oil Cooler: I intend this one:
SETRAB OIL COOLERS 50-920-7612 Series-9 Oil Cooler 20 Row w/M22 Ports

Width is perfect, but I'd prefer the inlet and outlet ports on the side. It'll still fit under the spare tire cover.

3) This seems like a nice oil cooler thermostat:
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermost...stat-p-212.html

4) Anybody have any engine lid grill material they want to get rid of? I intend a quick release engine lid with Aerolock fasteners.

5) Just ordered Ben's oil tank and engine sheet metal

6) Engine is type 930/02 - JE 9.5:1 and Webcam 120/04. Intend 46 PMOs. Chassis: Boxster brakes, Koni front struts, 911 parking brake, Fuchs 7/8, metal flares. Also added a lot of structural reinforcement. Original 1973 2.0 in Bahia Red. Am debating the 1970 914/6 Colorado Red Metallic, but all the Porsches I painted were always back to original color. Dilemma!

All for now...

mb911
I think the floor idea might work. It's a cheap way to do it.

Oil coolers I have used several over the years including a quality but inexpensive. Muscle car style oil cooler for about 80 bucks. Currently I am using the CFR RSR oil cooler along with one of my customer's. Cost is around $425 but they are really really nice.

T stat I have no experience with the one you call out. Only ever used the Mocals and 74 up 911 ones before.

mb911
Click to view attachment
roblav1
Thanks Ben. If that was made at 17" wide, it'd be great.
mb911
Yup just need a bigger opening..

Click to view attachment
roblav1
I ended up using a Fluidyne cooler and the Improved Racing thermostat. Welding on the tub is almost complete now. 10 lbs of Tig welding rod... flares, strengthening sheet all over the place, rocker flares, etc. Next is grind down welds, finish forming, then epoxy primer. Leaning toward color either Colorado Red or Malaga.
roblav1
Progress so far.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.