Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backdating bumpers on 75-76 cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freezin 914
Just out of curiosity, I know some of you have done this. What kind of time, money effort is involved with backdating bumpers on 75-76 models? Sorry if this has been covered recently. blink.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Apr 3 2019, 03:10 AM) *

Just out of curiosity, I know some of you have done this. What kind of time, money effort is involved with backdating bumpers on 75-76 models? Sorry if this has been covered recently. blink.gif

Very little time. Drill 4 holes front and rear for the through body mounts and then find you back dated bumpers and bolt on..
Steve
There is a how to do, in the classic thread forum.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225743
mepstein
It’s a little more than a bolt on but a very doable project. Knocks about 50lbs from the car.
ValcoOscar
And don't forget to prime and paint bare metal after any drilling or grinding.

If you do it...do it right beerchug.gif

Oscar
ConeDodger
Very good article in the Lapuwalli Classic Threads by BigKenSteele. On the first page too... evilgrin.gif
Coondog
Easy mod, I put on chrome bumpers which are $$$ and am very happy with them. A other option is the fiberglass stock looking bumpers. James Patrick has them on his personal 914-6. IMO they look great and save even more weight.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Apr 3 2019, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 3 2019, 08:55 AM) *

It’s a little more than a bolt on but a very doable project. Knocks about 50lbs from the car.
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Very good article in the Lapuwalli Classic Threads by BigKenSteele. On the first page too... evilgrin.gif

agree.gif I did this and have pics and documentation for the full project.

I did use the guidance of Big Ken Steel's thread and it worked out perfectly.

1. you have to cut the front extra channel off that was added to our cars to help hold on the rubber cover and the side clips as well, I did this while having other body work and repaint prep done so this was the perfect time to do it.

I spent about $750 for my rear bumper I bought just rechromed from a memberhere, after selling one I had that was like NOS original ,
then I had a front one I had that was perfectly straight but needed fresh rechrome done and that cost $350 for chrome, $300 for the bumper, so lets say I spent
$1500 on those plus new bumper toppers for about $600, - i'd say plan on spending about $2500 for all of it if you go with really nice mint chrome bumpers and toppers.

the one issue I didn't perfectly solve is the holes in front that are left over when you pull out your bumper shocks. I should have had those welded shut when he was doing my rust and body repair. but I think a temp solution could be a rubber seal of some kind.
right now I just have tape over those holes lol!

Good luck there are a lot of bumbers out there now thanks to the Oscar's group buy chrome project. they are worth it

will turn out something like this: --
you will have to think about mounting the horns its different on our cars than early and the fog lights, there is a spot for them but it has to be drilled out as well.
on late cars the fogs are in the steel bumper,
. - that is discussed on several threads

I had 2 fronts one with bumper guards which I wanted for extra protection but I have a very perfect early bumper with no holes for guards that is show quality that is on the car now so you see one of each.
-
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it it devalues the car and you will notice a decrease in high speed stability

Plus you have to cut off the front gutter, the four side holders for the bumper cover and therefore do paintwork, and then drill eight holes and patch the two round gaping holes in the front panel

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Apr 3 2019, 04:10 AM) *

DickSteinkamp
Here's my thread on installing the fog lights on a backdated car..

Fog Lights

Also, in one of the pictures in that thread you can see the simple bolt on plates I made to cover the holes left by the removal of the hydraulic bumper cylinders.
Coondog
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 3 2019, 07:32 AM' post='2702185']
don't do it it devalues the car and you will notice a decrease in high speed stability

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif Great April fools post
Backdate your car and don’t look back
Click to view attachment
Coondog
Fiberglass bumper from PMS.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.