Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Straight Pipe Header?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
I need some exhaust schooling...

What's wrong with running straight pipes off the header pipe to a banana muffler? For now, getting rid of heater boxes and exchangers.

Let the schooling begin popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Apr 4 2019, 04:48 AM) *

What's wrong with running straight pipes off the header pipe to a banana muffler? For now, getting rid of heater boxes and exchangers.

You have a 75/76? Thats the only 914 I can think of that had a header.

Essentially that's all the stock exhaust is on a late model 914 - a straight pipe to the muffler with some sheet metal welded around it to act as the warm air jacket.

The better action is to loose the 75/76 header and backdate to earlier heat exchangers.

If you don't want heat, the best move is to get a real 4-1 header and a sport muffler.

Zach
thelogo
What you want is a collector.
With a muffler .

driving-girl.gif
mgphoto
Tuned exhaust, such as 914/6 stock exhaust. Wild compared to the factory/4 which is also turned.

Headers can be straight pipes as V8 hot rod exhaust without any muffler.

Tuning an exhaust deals with the restrictions to the exhaust pulses, bends and lengths to the muffler are “timed” not to collide causing undue back pressure.
Mark Henry
To me a proper tuned header is the only true HP bolt on.

Stay away from the ebaey SS header, which is a rip off of a MSDS header, because a hot dog turd fits better.
RolinkHaus
Thanks for the advice. Attempting to replicate this
Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
Using this, but the muffler will have to be split open.
Click to view attachment
barefoot
You can have these cheap (R & L)
i backdated to get heat

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.