Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Digital Speedos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 Ranch
Carerror needs a speedo. I think Kent has one in one of his conversions. I was looking in the bay and was wondering about them. I don't have much space for one and what about reading them in sunlight. My GPS didn't work.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Apr 4 2019, 10:52 PM) *

Carerror needs a speedo. I think Kent has one in one of his conversions. I was looking in the bay and was wondering about them. I don't have much space for one and what about reading them in sunlight. My GPS didn't work.

I bought a digital speedo that is sold on eBay as a heads-up display. You do need a place to mount the plastic reflector. It is very small and lightweight.
914forme
I used a bike speedo as I just needed to keep track of speeds in the paddock. Campus police would write tickets to us on Sunday morning for going 2 MPH over posted speed of 5 MPH. also worked on the public streets.

Magnet taped to the inboard CV joint. Much cheaper than a ticket. Very accurate to boot. Had a shell of a speedo and taped the bike speedo to the glass. calibration done by the book with the bike speedo, and the auto-x tires on the car. Measure one revolution, enter measurements into the computer, and you are now as accurate as it gets. It was also handy on the highway, thou smallish tires and still meant high revs, but if not traffic was around good way to keep tabs on speed.
76-914
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Apr 4 2019, 10:52 PM) *

You can read them in the daylight perfectly. They are only abount 2-3" deep so they don't take up a lotto space. They are GPS based. They record your highest speed, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. They also have a clock, altimeter and compass built in but you won't need those features at the track. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
https://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

Edit: this is a race car? Why not incorporate GPS-based data acq with a digital display? In the Super Touring car I'm using a Race Technology DASH2Pro, that's a nice piece of kit. But in the 914 vintage racer I'm using a spare R-T DL-1 Mk2 with a NOS DASH1 display, probably all of $250 plus sensors.
DRPHIL914
i saw the title and was afraid to look, thought it was a new swimsuit! blink.gif
struckn
I use the speedometer APP on my cell phone mounted with a magnetic mount attached to the dash. Never had it fall off while driving. Also allows Map and Directions and Compass, distance driven, time of trip, etc.
HansJan
QUOTE(struckn @ Apr 5 2019, 07:39 PM) *

I use the speedometer APP on my cell phone mounted with a magnetic mount attached to the dash. Never had it fall off while driving. Also allows Map and Directions and Compass, distance driven, time of trip, etc.

Picture please. popcorn[1].gif
ClayPerrine
I used a 911 electronic speedo, and set it up to be driven by GPS.

My GPS Driven Speedometer Thread

Since then, I have helped install this in another 914 and a 912E. Both work flawlessly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.