Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Multi meter suggestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
restore2seater
Not sure if this should be in the sandbox, if so could an admin please move.

I'm looking to upgrade from a basic multi meter to a higher end one. Always thought Fluke was known as a pretty good brand. I would like something that has better accuracy and a few more functions.

Reason is, I've started tinkering with MCU programming. Started with an Arduino then bought a couple ATMEGA 168A-PU chips, breadboard, power supply and other peripherals. Last week bought a couple NodeMCUESP8266 to tinker with along with an ESP-01 board with a relay to use to open my garage door with my phone. Starting to get into IoT programming.

Besides the tinkering also would be using it for the MegaSquirt kits I built. I have a MS2 I built that is currently on my Challenger and built a MS3 a while ago and hopefully will be swapping out the MS2 for the MS3 this summer. MS2 will eventually be used for the Type 4 in the 914. I know I can use my laptop for some of this but would like something smaller for the garage.

I don't need a top of the line MM just an upgrade from a basic unit to a higher end hobbiest MM. Any suggestions as to which modal and where to buy at a reasonable price would be appreciated.
Chi-town
Fluke is always my go to meter. They have many models available
jd74914
Lots of options. I'm a big Fluke 87 fan for most simple multi-meter needs.

Would it be better for you to buy an oscilloscope though? Just wondering if you're dealing with multiple channels or want to additionally probe signal timing, digital communication protocols, or generate functions. PC-based oscilloscopes (PicoCcope, DSO Nano, etc.) are getting much more reasonable in price and have a lot of capability.
restore2seater
An oscilloscope will be down the line. I bought a couple cheep DIY kits from Bang good just to play around with. Also a signal generator and frequency tester kits. I had read the PC-based oscilloscopes aren't that good when I've researched in the past. Maybe they have advanced since then. In any case, like I stated, I would rather have something smaller for the garage and a way to test my power supply for accuracy when testing circuits.
jdamiano
I got a Fluke for 75 bucks used at a pawn shop in 1988 when I got out of the Air Force. It has never failed me and it will be getting used tomorrow morning to see why my friends Creamsicle won’t start.
JOEPROPER
Get a Fluke 88 with the 80i-110 amp clamp for low current and the big amp clamp for starter draw etc. Fluke 98 scope is great too when you're ready.
76-914
Bought mine in 81 for about $175. The auto ranging feature tipped the scales for me. 38 years later and it hasn't skipped a beat.
tmc914
Another vote for the Fluke 87-V. It costs about 335.00 at Amazon.
restore2seater
Well after some Google searching it looks like the 87 V modal is the most commonly used Fluke. Also looked at Brymen BM869S. Fairly comparable to the Fluke but not as well known and a newer company. Unfortunately a new Fluke is not in the budget so did some searches for used on Ebay. Looks like $200 is around going rate depending on condition and addons. Found a pawn shop near where I live that had one for $200. Decided to drive over and take a look. The condition of the Fluke was pretty good. Still has the protective plastic covering over the screen. So pulled the trigger and bought it. Now just need to start learning all the functions. Thanks for the suggestions. Helped narrow down what I wanted. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
jd74914
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Apr 11 2019, 11:03 AM) *

Well after some Google searching it looks like the 87 V modal is the most commonly used Fluke. Also looked at Brymen BM869S. Fairly comparable to the Fluke but not as well known and a newer company.

Good choice!

I haven't used that model Brymen, but I have used the rebranded Greenlee ones and don't like them as much as my Flukes. Part of it is probably psychological, but the ones I've used have felt a bit cheap and don't seem to respond quite as fast.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Apr 11 2019, 10:03 AM) *

Well after some Google searching it looks like the 87 V modal is the most commonly used Fluke. Also looked at Brymen BM869S. Fairly comparable to the Fluke but not as well known and a newer company. Unfortunately a new Fluke is not in the budget so did some searches for used on Ebay. Looks like $200 is around going rate depending on condition and addons. Found a pawn shop near where I live that had one for $200. Decided to drive over and take a look. The condition of the Fluke was pretty good. Still has the protective plastic covering over the screen. So pulled the trigger and bought it. Now just need to start learning all the functions. Thanks for the suggestions. Helped narrow down what I wanted. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Miss my Fluke - I had this exact model, it walked away a few years ago. Still a mystery.........sad sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.