Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 914 1.8 engine bogging down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteelerMike77
Hi all,
Just wondering - any thoughts about why my 1.8, twin carbs, 1974, 914 after warming up the engine will lose power during acceleration, sputter, and cough! WTF.gif I did notice the oil temp was pretty high - not all the way up. Once the car sits little its fine! I am changing oil this weekend, any other ideas???
Thanks
Big Len
Sounds like a fuel issue. Carbs or FI? Start simple 1st - When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would first check dwell and timing and make sure that your valves are in adjustment, then check air flow on the carbs and make sure that it is idling on all four

QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Apr 5 2019, 09:53 AM) *

Hi all,
Just wondering - any thoughts about why my 1.8, twin carbs, 1974, 914 after warming up the engine will lose power during acceleration, sputter, and cough! WTF.gif I did notice the oil temp was pretty high - not all the way up. Once the car sits little its fine! I am changing oil this weekend, any other ideas???
Thanks

porschetub
Sounds like a "lean" condition,whats the idle like ?.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 6 2019, 06:55 AM) *

Sounds like a fuel issue. Carbs or FI? Start simple 1st - When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Thank you, it has twin Weber carbs...
I got the car in January from Oregon, I’m in PA. Not sure when the fuel filter was done last, but appears new.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 6 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Sounds like a "lean" condition,whats the idle like ?.

Thank you...
Idle is fine, it only does it when trying to accelerate, BUT NOT always!
Could it be bad gas? What octane fuel would you recommend?
Dave_Darling
It is almost never "bad gas". It gets blamed an awful lot, but is very rarely the actual problem.

A stock motor is designed for regular-grade gas. Sometimes when cars have carb conversions done, the motor is re-worked and requires higher octane fuel. Often that is not done. Unless you have details about the motor, it is hard to say for certain.

If you put regular in the car and it doesn't ping, you should be fine. Conversely, you can put super-grade fuel in just to be safe if you have doubts.

But your problem is almost certainly not caused by "bad gas". Go through the things suggested above and you should find it. Start with the ignition, then check fuel pressure and delivery, then look for vacuum leaks.

--DD
rhodyguy
Dual carbs. Single throat or double? Is this a new issue or this way when you got the car? Post pictures of the carbs/fuel pump/linkage and fuel filter. What is the idle rpm when warm? How are the fuel lines routed in the eng compartment? Does the power loss occur above 3krpm? Look at the spark plugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.