Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hole below Battery ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
63acornwall
Looking up from underneath , passenger side , close to firewall and heater tube .
When you put your fingers in it at bottom you can feel top of a box section ( ?longitudinal)
I guess this was a piece of non structural sheet metal but not sure what you call it

Is it serious / tip of a rust iceberg

Click to view attachment
Spoke
welcome.png

That area is called the hell hole since it is rusted on most 914's. Likely there is more rust below. That's why most 914's are sold as "rust free" since additional rust is free.
theer
Yep - could be the tip of the rustberg.

The missing piece is non-structural, but it is functional. The purpose is that it is part of a continuous "shelf" around the motor to seal, as well as possible, the fresh cooling air coming in from the top, from the hot air expelled underneath. Missing it may not have a big impact on cooling, but it is an indication that rust may have penetrated the long on that side.

Spoke called it: Google 914 hell hole then decide if you want to poke around some more.

burton73
What is your situation on this car? Own, selling or restoring.

How does the right side long look under the rocker cover at the area close to the jack post?

Bob B

welcome.png
brant
I would question that this is a "non structural" part of the 914 frame.

all of the leverage from the rear suspension terminates here in the frame, at the hell hole. The unit body requires all sides of the frame (including top) to help gain its full strength

and yes, your rust is much larger than just the hole you see
the typical repair involves cutting a portion of the rear fender off to access the hell hole and then repainting the exterior fender after it has been welded back on

thus the "hell hole" name
76-914
Preliminaries don't look favorable. That coating of tar is covering something. beerchug.gif
injunmort
I beg to differ. imho, very structural, that's the long. no doubt tip of iceberg. fixable but welding and fabricating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.