Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on how to polish fog light grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
What's the best way to polish fog light grills? I have the air polisher pictured below. As illustrated in the second pic below, it looks like the wool pad will fit between the slats of the grill. I was thinking of trying to use some Mothers Plastic Polish with the polisher. Would that work on this material (appears to be some kind of chromed plastic)? Or would it too easily burn through the finish??

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Rattle can. biggrin.gif

My old grills look like yours, they were like they had been sandblasted, no finish left to polish. Also something like that would be very hard to machine polish, catch it the wrong way and good chance you could bust it.
doug_b_928
Hmmmm... Was the original finish literally a chrome plating? I'm going to need to have my rear bumper re-chromed so perhaps the grills can be chemically stripped and re-chromed at the same time...
bbrock
I believe there were two versions, early were chromed metal and late where chromed plastic. The plastic ones can be a bit fragile and I agree with not machine polishing. The bummer is that not many places can chrome plastic.
doug_b_928
Were the metal ones steel or aluminum?
JeffBowlsby
Easier to buy new.
Mikey914
They can't be polished unless they are metal. Most are not. New are available.
I know a guy biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Apr 5 2019, 05:07 PM) *

Were the metal ones steel or aluminum?

Pot metal I think. That's what the one I have looks like anyway.
Mikey914
If they are pot metal you could polish and chrome plate.
orthobiz
They can be polished! The worst that will happen is you will buy replacements. I tried using a Dremel tool with a soft buffing brush, which is fine but it is easy to burn through the plastic chrome exposing a copper colored metallic layer. Blue Magic Metal Polishing Creme is excellent for this. I would start on the fog light part, use it on the outside first where you won't see it to get a feel for it.

Also, I think they were all plastic with chrome plating.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Judges on my 1974 didn't seem to notice when I won a concours. Don't use that air polishing tool!

Show us if you have success.

Paul
doug_b_928
Thanks, guys. Guess I'll give polishing a go (once I locate that polish) and worst case I do know a guy that I'll be buying a s*** load of other 'Rubber etc. parts from wink.gif
second wind
I think vinegar and maybe baking powder/soda and a tooth brush will bring great results.....new ones the easy way but have done the vinegar and they do clean up...
gg
Big Len
Buy the repos from 914 Rubber. Perfect fit and finish.
burton73
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 5 2019, 06:51 PM) *

Buy the repos from 914 Rubber. Perfect fit and finish.

Get 914Rubber ones and save the metal ones for a guy with a real six that does not want to lose any points in a show.

My 6 had metal ones.

Bob B
JawjaPorsche
I tried to polish mine but they were too pitted from living in the desert one year. I was able to score a good pair on eBay.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we usually use chrome polish and 1000 grit steel wool. That is the best you can do, after that like Jeff said, buy new they are cheap enough, and probably between mark and myself we are sitting on a thousand sets of them with and without the hole for the driving light

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Apr 5 2019, 01:40 PM) *

What's the best way to polish fog light grills? I have the air polisher pictured below. As illustrated in the second pic below, it looks like the wool pad will fit between the slats of the grill. I was thinking of trying to use some Mothers Plastic Polish with the polisher. Would that work on this material (appears to be some kind of chromed plastic)? Or would it too easily burn through the finish??

Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 5 2019, 05:04 PM) *

They can't be polished unless they are metal. Most are not. New are available.
I know a guy biggrin.gif

Plastic can in fact be polished with either plastic polish (Mothers, etc.) or a very fine grit automotive paint polish, hours & hours of elbow grease per side.

Plan on a few days, & don't ask me how I know!? dry.gif
(plastic chrome no fog grills are NLA, so you polish. Hint, hint Mark!)

The question is, do you really want to spent that time?? confused24.gif

AFAIK, Porsche still has some left new OEM ones (plastic), & "Mr. Subtle" above has excellent repros at 914Rubber, & maybe also from AA, SMC, or Stoddards!

Save yourself the sore elbows! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
I have the no hole (non fog light) grills, the regular fog light and the black fog light grills.

Just let me know.
Mark
mepstein
The problem with the used ones is most of the time, the plastic and chrome has worn off so there's nothing left to polish. The metal ones are worth saving since they can be painted or powdercoated black. There are also some powdercoat powders and a cerakote paint that in chrome that look pretty good from a couple feet away. I have a set of 914rubber grills and they are mirror chrome. I have a bucket of old chrome grills that will probably get painted black in time.
doug_b_928
I finally had a little time to take a crack at polishing this weekend. Less than an hour on each one using George's method of 0000 steel wool and chrome polish. I was surprised at how easily they cleaned up. In person the before and after is night and day. But with bright backlighting the imperfections on the left side grill are obvious (see pics below). I'm not sure how much that will show when on the car when there's no light coming through from behind. I figure I can try them and if I can't stand the imperfections just get a set from one of our vendors or have them rechromed with my bumper and heater handle. Thanks all for your advice.

Before and after side by side:

Click to view attachment

Both polished:

Click to view attachment

Backlight showing imperfections on left side:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.