Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full Size Spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I'm curious what people running wider tires are using for their spares and I'm interested in full size, inflatable spares only.

I bought a set of 5 195/65R15s today thinking it would be nice to have a full matching set and a five tire rotation. I didn't think about whether they would fit in the frunk spare tire well. The don't. It lifts the floor board by a good six inches which not only looks like crap, but gobbles up about 2.5 cubic feet of trunk space.

I think I'd rather just have a 165 width tire as a dedicated spare so wonder what the least expensive, yet serviceable as a spare tire might be. I see Walmart sells a Federal for 50 bucks and a Nankang for about the same. After that, you get into expensive vintage style tires. At $50, I'd be more likely to replace it when it gets old.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a big hassle. Firestone's return policy is that you can return a set of 4 or more tires within 90 days of purchase for a full refund, but they state that returning less than a full set is not accepted. I really don't want to have to return the full set and then turn around and buy a set of just four. That won't be good for either party. The tires have been mounted, but not run so hopefully they'll give me a break.
Spoke
I have 5-lug wheels on my car and bought a 14 inch 5-lug Fuchs for less than $100. Put a 195/60/14 tire on it. It lifts the floor board a bit but not much.

About the 5 tire rotation, I don't think that's recommended with radial tires as tires are rotated front to rear; not side to side.
Mark Henry
In my bus I use a 125-15" temporary spare I got for $10 at the local wreckers.
My 914 I have a 944 turbo "outlaw" collapsible spare.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 6 2019, 07:51 AM) *

About the 5 tire rotation, I don't think that's recommended with radial tires as tires are rotated front to rear; not side to side.

agree.gif

Same side, front to back only.
Except for a nail I picked up while doing my roof I haven't had a flat in years.
bbrock
Re: 5-tire rotation. I'm pretty sure the front-back only applies to directional tires. See:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=43

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Krieger
FWIW, I have a 5 lug bolt pattern. I use a Boxster spare tire. It's tall and very skinny. I tested it on my lowered car and it works well.
ClayPerrine
On Elwood, we have 16 inch fuchs, and a stock 5 lug 15inch 165SR-15 spare.

On Frody (Betty's car) we have 5 beautifully plated 15 inch 4 lug fuchs with 205/50-15 Bridgstone RE8R tires on them.

On Igor (My six conversion) We have 944 Turbo rims, 16x7s on the front with 225/50/16 Bridgstone RE8Rs, and 16x8 944 Turbo rims with 245/45-16 Bridgstone RE8Rs, and a Boxster aluminum space saver spare to fit over the calipers. I realize that on my car, I won't be able to put one of the rear tires in the front trunk if it goes flat. So I need to keep a couple of ratchet straps and a towel in the car so I can strap it to the roof if I have a passenger.

Betty wouldn't take kindly to being left behind.. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
I bought a complete Boxster spare on eBay from a shop that made spec Boxsters. The spare were not needed. Fits good, lightweight, and a Boxster foam-insert fits in the wheel to hold the jack. Floorboard sit about right too
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 6 2019, 05:42 PM) *

I bought a complete Boxster spare on eBay from a shop that made spec Boxsters. The spare were not needed. Fits good, lightweight, and a Boxster foam-insert fits in the wheel to hold the jack. Floorboard sit about right too

That frunk is clean enough to eat off of! beer3.gif

Love the Boxter spare with the insert; great idea. I was leaning toward same general idea which is to use OEM mini spare due to space and more as a weight save.

FYI -- it should go without saying that a mini won't handle like a full size spare and has risk associated but as long as you use it at low(ish) speed and avoid limit handling type maneuvers it will be fine.

I once had to drive a Viper with a mini spare on the rear for about 100 miles due to a blowout. Total buzz kill for 100 miles. barf.gif
windforfun
Just keeping it stock...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.