Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Have power to some things, wipers, fresh air fan, but not other accessories fog lights when the key is in off. Replace the ignition switch with a non Porsche part but it does turn off some things in off just not everything. I’m still in the process of restoration so I don’t have all the electrical hooked up yet I just noticed my problem when I was testing my wipers. Thanks for any input
Spoke
For the foglights to work, the headlight switch must be in the headlight position, the hi/lo beams on low beam, and the headlights must be installed and must not be LEDs.
Superhawk996
Electrical issues are not hard to solve, but you need to be methodical.

Tools / things needed:
Schematic diagram from Haynes or Factory Service Manual for your model year.
Digital Multi Meter (DMM)
Patience

You have to learn to read schematics. If you can't read them already spend time to learn. It will pay off forever.

If you don't know how to use DMM - learn on a flashlight battery and some scrap wire.

Google and YouTube training readily available on schematic reading and DMM use.

Here is the technique I learned courtesy of USAF technical training as electronics tech:

1/2 split method

Find a spot that the system can be split in 1/2. Usually there is a connector, fuse, or similar feature that let's you divide the system into two parts (not necessarily the same circuit length).

If you are looking for voltage or continuity its the same general thing. look on the 1st half. Is it good and what you expected? If not, then try to split that bad section in 1/2 again and recheck.

If the voltage or continuity is good on the 1st half, then focus on why it isn't present in the second half.

You have to be patient and methodical. BY working that way and keeping track of what you've done and on which 1/2 you were working, you will find the problem quickly 95% of the time.

The other 5% is a bitch! That is covered in the advanced course. smile.gif

This is hard to describe in just a few words.

Get your schematic, and then go from there. Posting details of what you have and folks will try to help.

Vague generalities will get you nothing but a bunch of wild guesses and will send you on a goose chase.

shane
Great thanks for the detailed advice will open my Haynes manual and start tracing my acc power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.