Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinstalling relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdr1787
Hallo everyone,

So I am reinstalling a relay board(new) which was taken off when i first went carbureted. The guy who helped me (not really) go carbureted removed the relay board and snipped some wires and told me i didn't need it anymore.Long story short, new motor/trans and relay board. it is still carbureted but i want the wiring to be legitimate. from the wiring harness(12 prong plug) these four wires have been cut. The yellow wire(Batt), Brown/white (fuel pump), Black/purple(spark plug), blue(starter). the black wire is non existent(from the plug) and I'm still looking for it.

This is how it is hooked currently which i'm in the process of fixing. The brown/white wire is wire directly to the fuel pump. The yellow wire is hooked up to the starter. The black wire(found it) and black/purple wire are hooked up to the coil. The blue wire isn't hooked up to anything.

So my question is what is the best way to tackle this issue.the 12 prong connector has a small bit of the corner broken and i'm missing one wire. The alternator wire harness seems fine. the car can start but obviously doesn't charge. I don't have the 11 prong wiring harness as well. Thanks for all the tips and help. it is greatly appreciated.

-Peter
VaccaRabite
Sounds like a nightmare.
Buy a used harness and either fix or replace yours.

Zach
Minerva's 914
Try;

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Good luck
JeffBowlsby
No idea what you are describing. The 12 pin connector at the relay board does not have some of those colors, and there is no 11 pin connector.
Pdr1787
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 7 2019, 09:44 PM) *

No idea what you are describing. The 12 pin connector at the relay board does not have some of those colors, and there is no 11 pin connector.

On the left of the picture is the 12 pin connector. If I am correct on the ratio right side there is 11 pins and that’s were the starter comes from? I don’t have that wiring harness
Pdr1787
Here’s a picture of the wiring
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Apr 7 2019, 07:34 PM) *
The guy who helped me (not really) go carbureted removed the relay board and snipped some wires and told me i didn't need it anymore.

WTF.gif confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
The photos are a great help, thanks.

1. Look carefully at the connector pins to the left of the photo. There are 14, not 12. We call that the 14-pin connector. All 914s have this connector, it connects the chassis harness to the relay board. Sometimes *really-smart* 914 owners or their wrenches want to eliminate the relay board where they don't understand its functions, but it is important and should be retained. Glad you are putting it back.

2. The right side connector on the relay board does have 11 pins, but the connector housing itself actually has 12 pins, not all of which are used. We call that the 12-pin connector. All 914s originally came with a harness for this 12 pin connector which is the "ignition harness". The ignition harness typically connects to the oil pressure sender, back up light switch, coil, starter motor, heater blower and the aux air valve for D-Jet cars. L-Jet cars are somewhat different and there are several variants depending in model year. You need an ignition harness on a carbed 914 for all the above functions except the aux air valve. I can build you a new ignition harness if you like, as virtually all original engine bay wiring harnesses are completely worn out.

3. The bottom photo also shows the optional 2-pole connector for the rear window defroster and 3-pole alternator connector...plug these into the relay board also.

4. For individual wire repairs, its easiest just to repair them in place. Splice/solder/heat shrink.

5. Get a good copy of the factory wiring schematic, its not hard work, just tedious. I have copies of the engine bay wiring harness schematics on my harness website for free download. Links in my signature.

Please post the year/engine size of your car for specific details.
bbrock
QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Apr 8 2019, 03:49 PM) *

On the left of the picture is the 12 pin connector. If I am correct on the ratio right side there is 11 pins and that’s were the starter comes from? I don’t have that wiring harness

It's actually 14-pin on the left and the confusion is that your "11-pin" is actually 12-pin but only 11 of the pins are used. Looks like you'll need to get a schematic and patch some wires.

And when you have it fixed, keep that guy away from it. wacko.gif
Pdr1787
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 8 2019, 09:39 PM) *

The photos are a great help, thanks.

1. Look carefully at the connector pins to the left of the photo. There are 14, not 12. We call that the 14-pin connector. All 914s have this connector, it connects the chassis harness to the relay board. Sometimes *really-smart* 914 owners or their wrenches want to eliminate the relay board where they don't understand its functions, but it is important and should be retained. Glad you are putting it back.

2. The right side connector on the relay board does have 11 pins, but the connector housing itself actually has 12 pins, not all of which are used. We call that the 12-pin connector. All 914s originally came with a harness for this 12 pin connector which is the "ignition harness". The ignition harness typically connects to the oil pressure sender, back up light switch, coil, starter motor, heater blower and the aux air valve for D-Jet cars. L-Jet cars are somewhat different and there are several variants depending in model year. You need an ignition harness on a carbed 914 for all the above functions except the aux air valve. I can build you a new ignition harness if you like, as virtually all original engine bay wiring harnesses are completely worn out.

3. The bottom photo also shows the optional 2-pole connector for the rear window defroster and 3-pole alternator connector...plug these into the relay board also.

4. For individual wire repairs, its easiest just to repair them in place. Splice/solder/heat shrink.

5. Get a good copy of the factory wiring schematic, its not hard work, just tedious. I have copies of the engine bay wiring harness schematics on my harness website for free download. Links in my signature.

Please post the year/engine size of your car for specific details.

Thanks for the tips and help. Ill definitely pick up the ignition harness. I do have a wiring diagram so that should help. Ill Pm within the next few days.

-Peter
barefoot
This should help:
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Here's your study guides:

http://web.archive.org/web/20121014042555/...al_diagrams.htm
SirAndy
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 9 2019, 03:30 AM) *
This should help:

Careful, we don't know the year of his car yet.

The wiring is different between early and late cars ...
shades.gif
Pdr1787
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 9 2019, 03:30 AM) *
This should help:

Careful, we don't know the year of his car yet.

The wiring is different between early and late cars ...
shades.gif

It’s a 1971. Greatly appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.