Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
I don’t suppose there is a torque speck for the aluminum nuts on the inlet and outlet on the bottom of the fuel tank? I sometimes have a bad tendency to over tighten more delicate fittings. I’m putting on new aluminum nuts washers and screen sock, and wanted some reassurance on how tight, the Haynes manual and my internet search came up empty. Any input would Sure be appreciated thanks.
mgphoto
Hello Shane,
The factory repair manual does not specify a torque.
The original parts used were fiber washers which did not take a lot of crush to make the seal.
Today the fiber washers are NLA, but the solution is copper washers heated to cherry red and left to cool on their own.
These will crush and form a seal, the amount of pressure is not very high, my advice is use a shorter wrench, less torque.
Test the seal with a pint of fuel at a time.
Good luck, keep a fire extinguisher close by.
shane
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 8 2019, 06:56 AM) *

Hello Shane,
The factory repair manual does not specify a torque.
The original parts used were fiber washers which did not take a lot of crush to make the seal.
Today the fiber washers are NLA, but the solution is copper washers heated to cherry red and left to cool on their own.
These will crush and form a seal, the amount of pressure is not very high, my advice is use a shorter wrench, less torque.
Test the seal with a pint of fuel at a time.
Good luck, keep a fire extinguisher close by.

Great thanks sounds like good advice (Fire exchange I’m accident prone) and the short wrench. I’ll do just that then, maybe I’ll throw a torque wrench on it after I’m finished and see about where I’m at so I can give that number to the next guy if he asks my question. Or better yet I’ll just post it here on this thread, I haven’t received my nut/washer/tank sock kit yet but it is supposed to have copper washers in it not fiber.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(shane @ Apr 8 2019, 07:16 AM) *

I don’t suppose there is a torque speck for the aluminum nuts on the inlet and outlet on the bottom of the fuel tank? I sometimes have a bad tendency to over tighten more delicate fittings. I’m putting on new aluminum nuts washers and screen sock, and wanted some reassurance on how tight, the Haynes manual and my internet search came up empty. Any input would Sure be appreciated thanks.

I made a dozen errors on this topic - so now I am an expert!

After a great deal of scrounging i found gasket material that I purchased on EBAY that was advertised as fuel approved, etc. I then used a drill tool (one of the round, hollow ones for cutting holes) to make the gasket.

I still had a leak after i installed it (very smart to have the Fire Extinguisher close by), so I started filling it (a quart or so) after each test of the gasket. After a few of these tests I could not get the leak to stop. Turned out the leak was in the washer that is welded to the spout. tiny, tiny hole......ugh

So I tuned up the welder and then found out that I did not have the right equipment so the washer on the spout burned up......I guess it is more of a brazing job.........????

Sooooooo, in the end I bought new spouts (also a VERY kind 914World member from MN sent me a couple). Many thanks again!

Long road to get here, but this is what I found after doing this 10+ times:

If the spouts are in good shape and the material is correct (stiff fiber), threads clean of tank coating, etc, I went about 1/2 turn past finger tight. Small wrench is a good idea.

Thanks for reading - I needed 914world therapy on this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.