Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD -- 1974 with Raby 2270 Performer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
zx-niner
11/23/2019 Car has been sold.

For sale 1974 model with a Raby turnkey 2270, Tangerine exhaust, full instrumentation, working A/C, rebuilt suspension and brakes, new seat upholstery with heated seats. All the right parts, done right, but needs some cosmetic work inside and out to make perfect. Located in Las Vegas but current registration in California.

Steve
sfrnkwch@yahoo.com

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

zx-niner
As promised, a more thorough listing of the cars condition.

I purchased the car in 2008 as a bone-stock 1.8 liter with very little rust. The actual mileage was unknown. In the time I have owned it I put maybe 6,000 miles on the car while making the following modifications (although some modifications have less than a few hundred miles on them):
The good:
1. Raby 2270 Performer engine: Turnkey build from Jake; installed with Tangerine Racing 1-5/8” EVO exhaust, EVO II silencer, and heat exchanger kit; Derale Atomic Cool remote oil cooler with thermostat controlled fan, dual fuel filters, vacuum oil breather system, all SS hoses with AN fittings.
2. Raby rebuilt transmission, looked like all new parts
3. Front and rear suspension rebuild: Bilstein shocks, bushings, bearing, sway bars, ball joints, turbo tie-rod.
4. Rebuilt brakes, F&R: Set of four PMB rebuilt calipers, SS brake lines all around, rebuilt 19mm master cylinder, emergency brake works fine
5. Rebuilt axles from AutoAtlanta
6. Aftermarket air conditioning: Parts from Nostalgic Air, with front trunk condenser, engine mounted compressor and under dash evaporator. Spare tire mounts on top of condenser
7. Leather reupholstered seats with two-level electric heat inserts
8. AMCO aftermarket center console: CHT gauge (100-700); EGT gauge (700-1700); oil pressure gauge (0-80); oil temperature gauge (scaled to red); voltage gauge (8-16); and clock. Console has elbow height arm rest with small storage compartment, and controls for the A/C and heated seats.
9. New Hankook Performer 205/60x15 tires
10. Various OEM rubber seals replaced, including targa top/windshield seal.
11. Buyer can haul away all my spare 914 parts stash (about 6 boxes worth) which includes items such as new L&R side view mirrors, new F&R bumper tits, new OEM turn signal switch, OEM rubber for most of the rest of the car that I didn’t already replace, various powder coated body parts (L&R lower sill covers, rear valence, speedo/tach dashboard trim), various 914 books and repair manuals/binders.

The less-good:
1. Needs some visual body and paint repairs, although the only two known rust areas are some bubbles near the driver door handle and the beginnings of deterioration on the battery tray (does not intrude on the chassis or battery support)
2. Passenger compartment restoration about 60% complete. Needs back pad, door panel and dash front upholstery.
3. Under dash air conditioning unit interferes with passenger side foot well speaker. Speaker grill would have to be modified. Car comes with new L&R speaker grills for new owner to modify.
4. I installed struts the rear trunk lid which prohibit storage of the roof
5. Various mechanical and electrical idiosyncrasies such as electric rear trunk lock, driver side headlight randomly refuses to close then arbitrarily does, weak heating and ventilation
6. Raby rebuilt transmission, there’s a reason he is known for his engines! Kind of sticky shifting, may just need breaking in (has about 500 miles on it).

The LESS less-good:
1. The Raby engine came with a Mallory Unilite ignition system. After fighting for years with increasingly frequent blown ignition modules ($100 a pop), I replaced the entire setup with a stock 009 distributor and points setup. As a result the engine does not rev as quickly and power is probably down. Buyer gets all the original Mallory pieces, plus the extra coil, resistors and power filters I bought trying to clean up the power.
abes914
I am not in the market but wow. Wish I have that much spare $$ to purchase this car.
Sleeper car that sounds like a blast to drive.

Glwts
popcorn[1].gif
MikeM
Somebody buy this before I do....
burton73
QUOTE(MikeM @ Apr 8 2019, 10:40 AM) *

Somebody buy this before I do....

Your turn Mike.

Lots of very nice parts make a very nice car with a little work.

Bob B
El Scorcho
What a great car for the money! GLWTS!
wes
Wow great deal that surely won’t take long before this ones putting a big smile on the new owners face.
zx-niner
From reading the 914 World Forum over the years I have noticed a lack of Raby turnkey customers so here are a few pictures I recorded for posterity.

Engine arrival and Jake's documentation. Jake's instruction manual is quite complete, and strict. The Raby ID# is 008067, I think he stamped 6067 and tried to correct it to an 8067.

I planned the air conditioner from the beginning so my installer could make all the fabrications at the same time.

Click to view attachment

All of the original Mallory ignition components come with the engine, along with other parts I threw at the short-lived-ignition-module problem. The 009 distributor is fine for how I drive it now. A little advertised problem converting to carburetors from fuel injection is figuring out the throttle cable. My installer custom fabricated this support. It isn't going anywhere.

Click to view attachment
zx-niner
Now for the things that aren't so pretty.

First and foremost are the bubbles near the driver door handle. They have been there since I got the car in 2008 and do not have appeared to have changed at all. I have always kept the car garaged and dry.

Click to view attachment

A previous owner must have had different side view mirrors installed as there are some holes drilled on each door. A rubber washer seals each hole.

Rush in the battery tray is a relatively new development, probably from the cars storage from 2011 to 2017. You can see the battery tray in an earlier picture that is was pristine. The corrosion is only limited to the tray bottom and has not affected the side weld or underneath support.

Click to view attachment

Two normal areas of rust that are NOT affected are the side longitudinals and the hell hole. Sorry, I only have a photo of the right side longitudinal exposed, and no longer have a floor jack or stands (or gumption) to remove the left side panel. Also, that is fire extinguisher foam in the hell hole which will be explained in a future post.

zx-niner
About the engine fire - After the car sat from 2011 to 2017, I retired and moved to Las Vegas. The car went straight to Carl's Place in town to bring back to life. For reasons unknown (but suspected to be leftover residue in the rebuilt carbs causing the backfire) the passenger carburetor caught fire while I was out driving. I know there is a current thread about the use of powder fire extinguishers, but as you stand there and watch the fire building, your years-old halon extinguisher inoperable, when someone runs up with a foam extinguisher you use it. (Later you realize maybe the insurance payoff for letting it burn would have been better than getting the car repaired.)

Anyway, the car went back to Carl’s who replaced the carburetor; however, for some reason the engine would not turn over when they got the carburetor reinstalled. They ended up pulling the engine and replacing the cylinders and rings (in addition to the one carburetor and engine grill). They also rebuilt the original passenger side carb again, finding issues they suspect caused the fire in the driver side carb. As a result, the car runs much smoother than before the fire. It seems to be somewhat more cold-blooded, though, and requires more time to warm up.

After the fire:

Click to view attachment

Damage after repairs:

Click to view attachment
zx-niner
I do have more pictures but no means to get the car up in the air or take things apart to get more (other than the side jack for changing tires). I also have all the records from my time of ownership, including the modification work done over the years. Feel free to ask any questions.

Finally, any shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer, and the car is being sold as-is with no warranty. Any smogging and licensing is the buyer's responsibility. Transferring title to someone in California, however, should be a piece of cake.
2mAn
damn, saw the Merced Location on your profile and got excited. LV is a little out of the way
zx-niner
QUOTE(2mAn @ Apr 15 2019, 03:34 PM) *

damn, saw the Merced Location on your profile and got excited. LV is a little out of the way

Sorry about that. I didn't notice the full Profile Edit button after I moved, only the Signature Edit. Went back and looked harder.

But thanks for the bump!
rhodyguy
Appears to be a lot of car for the money. I imagine price fails to cover the cost involved for just the power plant and trans.
914werke
agree.gif
rhodyguy
Nice swap package and flip the tub for $7k+.
alpha19
Hey Steve, am interested in your car if you still have it. I emailed you a little while ago with my phone number, give me a call please. Joe
zx-niner
Sale pending . . .
zx-niner
QUOTE(zx-niner @ May 21 2019, 04:05 PM) *

Sale pending . . .

Sale fell through, the car is once again available..
JOEPROPER
This looks like a great deal... Am I missing something?
Chris914n6
Somebody ask for a second opinion so I have an excuse to drive a RABY 2270 biggrin.gif
zx-niner
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 21 2019, 11:54 PM) *

Somebody ask for a second opinion so I have an excuse to drive a RABY 2270 biggrin.gif

You're welcome to take it for a spin any time! We're down in Henderson, kind of near the "M", but currently out of town for a couple weeks.
flat4guy
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jul 4 2019, 10:03 AM) *

You're welcome to take it for a spin any time! We're down in Henderson, kind of near the "M", but currently out of town for a couple weeks.

When you're back in town would love to see more pics of the car, ie.. interior etc... Thank you.
zx-niner
Once again the car is tentatively sold.
RFoulds
I know a local buyer here in Coachella Valley who would love this car. Let me know if dale falls through.
zx-niner
Sale once again fell through. Price reduced to $12,500.
ValcoOscar
Wow...

I have that identical Raby engine in one of my 914's.....SWEET. Have known Jake Raby for nearly 20 yrs. beerchug.gif

Motor alone is worth it!!!!!

GLWS

Oscar
2mAn
I cant believe this is still for sale...

Will this make the drive back to LA with no hiccups? A/C works so it sounds like an easy fly and drive...
Chris914n6
I'm still game for a drive if you are beerchug.gif

dax1969
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2019, 07:40 PM) *

Shoot a video and send to me !

Thks
Dax
zx-niner
QUOTE(2mAn @ Oct 2 2019, 08:29 PM) *

I cant believe this is still for sale...

Will this make the drive back to LA with no hiccups? A/C works so it sounds like an easy fly and drive...

There is no reason I know of that it couldn't. I only drive it around town now.
zx-niner
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2019, 10:40 AM) *

PM me sometime. We're retired so are either available anytime or gone for extended periods.
IronHillRestorations
This looks like a really good deal to me. If I wasn't scaling back...and just lost several years of my retirement...

You've done a nice job developing this car, GLWTS
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Nov 4 2019, 10:09 PM) *

This looks like a really good deal to me. If I wasn't scaling back...and just lost several years of my retirement...

You've done a nice job developing this car, GLWTS

agree.gif If I had 1 more space, I'd be on it too.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 1 2019, 03:16 PM) *

Wow...

I have that identical Raby engine in one of my 914's.....SWEET. Have known Jake Raby for nearly 20 yrs. beerchug.gif

Motor alone is worth it!!!!!

GLWS

Oscar

bump again to top.
Yes I agree just the motor alone is worth that price already.
Someone should have a good buy on this!

Chris914n6
red914.jpg rocking nana.gif

I got out to look at it Sunday so here's a quick review.

Seller has represented the car reasonably well and honestly so I'm just going to add to it.

ENGINE: It's carb'd and you won't forget that. It started on the 3rd try. A little cranky when cold but idled just fine even with the comp on. It's built more towards a track motor, where all the power is on the top end, like a -6 or suby-6. So it launches kinda dull then whoosh and you're over redline. Noticeable hesitation just off idle like the acc squirt is lacking. Power is down probably 15% because of the 009 and points, but that's common knowledge. Mallory's stromberg.gif so much Raby doesn't use them anymore. It's a $15k motor so I'd invest $500 for a 123ignition dizzy.
Still quite driveable in the city though the muffler is on the loud side. Does a respectable 2nd gear drift. Temps were fine on a 76* afternoon.

Body: Paint looks good except for the few places it's chipped off. A quick buff would really bring out the color. I did discover bondo though. Right front fender midway up and into the door 1/3. About 1/16" thick. Looks like a quick fix as I could of hammered it straight again and that's not my skill set. I'd likely spot paint the bad spots over a whole new paint job.

Another discovery is a big dent at the rear trunk lock. I'm guessing it got stuck and they tried to punch it out??? It's well hidden by the reflector.

A/C: Blows cold on a 76* afternoon - so basically it works, but how well when it's 110* I can't say. There is no Condenser fan -- just forced air while moving, but it looks like a low profile Radiator fan would fit.

RUST: Alot of the problem areas have been re-undercoated with some quality stuff. The door handle and battery tray you've seen. The rear trunk has rust that's been painted over and is kinda iffy.

OTHER: Shifting is a little sloppy even for a 914 -- I'd guess worn bushings or a loose screw. Pads squeak a bit on initial press but lock the fronts no problem. Tires are fresh -- mid 2017. Nothing but quality work throughout, except maybe the door speakers. Stereo is plenty loud.

SUMMARY: A solid driver that if it didn't need a dozen minor fixes would be a $20k 914 easily.

If you are serious and I missed something let me know by Sat 9th afternoon as I'll be in the neighborhood again for dinner.

IPB Image
20191103_151510 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_151412 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_145728 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_144149 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_144251 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_143718 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_143919 by cp914, on Flickr

IPB Image
20191103_144034 by cp914, on Flickr

zx-niner
Thanks for the review, Chris, and adding things I wouldn't have known how to look for. Just to confirm, the "down 15%" power thing is on the Raby dyno'd 170 horsepower, not the stock 914 horsepower of 70-100 hp.

It has current registration and license for California so no smog required to change title there.
burton73
A smog check is not required on a title or pink slip transfer or vehicle registration renewal if the vehicle's biennial smog certification was submitted to the DMV within 90 days prior to the transfer date.
https://www.smogtips.com/www.smogtips.com › california-vehicle-registration-dmv

Would your car pass a smog in CA if needed?

This is kind of a big deal in CA.

Bob B
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 7 2019, 09:53 AM) *

A smog check is not required on a title or pink slip transfer or vehicle registration renewal if the vehicle's biennial smog certification was submitted to the DMV within 90 days prior to the transfer date.

Bob B

I bought a 74 from out of state and brought it into California.
NO SMOG REQ'D. Identical 2270cc RABY engine.

Quick VIN verification at local AAA and DONE!!!! Quick and easy.

Oscar
2mAn
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 7 2019, 10:27 AM) *

I bought a 74 from out of state and brought it into California.
NO SMOG REQ'D. Identical 2270cc RABY engine.

Quick VIN verification at local AAA and DONE!!!! Quick and easy.

Oscar

ugh, I wish we had a chance to meet up this weekend... maybe in 2 weeks... this weekend Im not in town
fiacra
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 7 2019, 09:53 AM) *

Bob B

No smog check required on a 1975 or earlier vehicle here in California. Only needed if you have a MY 1976 or later.
zx-niner
In my 12 years of ownership of the car, all California licensed and never lapsed, it has never required smog. The one time I brought a pre-1975 Nevada-registered 914 into California I was required to get a headlight check but no smog check. That car had been registered in California before going to Nevada, then back to California.

But to answer the original question, no, the car would not pass smog. To register in Clark County, Nevada, where I currently live, I would need a smog test and preliminary tests show it would not pass. However, it is pretty easy to register cars here as "Classics" or "Rods" and those do not need smog. I have chosen to retain the California registration with the intent to sell it.
Chris914n6
Mine's registered rod/classic in Nevada. No smog check but a 5,000 mile limit per year and I have to go in to sign the affidavit.

5,000 miles get me to all 3 west coast drives plus plenty of local days & weekends. Worst case I lie and add it to next year....
9144me2enjoy
PM Sent to Purchase....deposit made!
ValcoOscar
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif shades.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
zx-niner
Car is once again tentatively sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.