Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Did You Learn About the 914 this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Ok, here is the deal.

I find myself doing things wrong, then researching and find that the docs are misleading or sometimes wrong or I am just not yet up too speed as to the 914 way.

Here is this weekend's list - Please feel free to add yours to the list!

Here is what I learned this weekend:

1. There are many illustrations floating around about Vacuum and De-accel valve hoses one is incorrect, a few are a bit misleading and the last Bowlsby version is correct and clear. However, there is ALSO debate as to whether it matters.........interesting! About 2 hours spent there.

2. In the bird timing instructions the note as to removing the vacuum hose BEFORE you start the timing ritual is in the 1.8 section but NOT the 2.0 section....of course I skipped the 1.8 section since I have a 2.0...... Most of Sunday on this one.

3. Not all starters are created equal. My original Bosche sounded a bit tired, so I replaced it 6 months ago with a 'compatible' which worked fine this weekend until the solenoid stuck and the engine made so many unnatural noises it took a few hours for me to identify.....the old tired but still working Bosch is back in the car! I will spend the extra 120 for a Bosch or 914world approved starter. The rest of Sunday spent on this one.
914Sixer
What you are saying is correct. Most of the stuff posted here is gained from trial and error. If you put it out there for everyone, it helps prevent bad choices.The classic section is a prime source for information on how to do it right.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 8 2019, 11:20 AM) *

What you are saying is correct. Most of the stuff posted here is gained from trial and error. If you put it out there for everyone, it helps prevent bad choices.The classic section is a prime source for information on how to do it right.

Classic Section?????? Who Knew? confused24.gif - more trial and error, thank you!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thirty years of trial and error resulted in this first published around the turn of the century:Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 8 2019, 07:58 AM) *
What Did You Learn About the 914 this weekend, How and what I learned by error

Having one that runs is the exception, not the norm ...
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 8 2019, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 8 2019, 11:20 AM) *

Classic Section?????? Who Knew? confused24.gif - more trial and error, thank you!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=5
shades.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2019, 12:52 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Hallelujah! Can I get an Amen!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is a mean comment to the fabulous 914, all things get old Andy!!!!!

Girls used to drive this car dependably!!!!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2019, 10:52 AM) *

biggrin.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 8 2019, 02:48 PM) *

thirty years of trial and error resulted in this first published around the turn of the century:Click to view attachment

Say what you will about George, that book is spot on...
JFG
I learnt that the 914 is slightly narrower than a tr7. looks like my next resto is going to be an even tighter squeeze.
ClayPerrine
They still do. Just ask my wife.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 8 2019, 01:35 PM) *

that is a mean comment to the fabulous 914, all things get old Andy!!!!!

Girls used to drive this car dependably!!!!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 8 2019, 10:52 AM) *

biggrin.gif

ctc911ctc
OK,

There were two of these on EBAY, one for $9.99 and another for $399.00

Decisions, decisions.,,,,,

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 8 2019, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 8 2019, 02:48 PM) *

Say what you will about George, that book is spot on...

bbrock
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 9 2019, 10:27 AM) *

OK,

There were two of these on EBAY, one for $9.99 and another for $399.00

Decisions, decisions.,,,,,

CTC911CTC

FYI, the $9.99 version is the early edition which has the advantage of fitting in the glove box, but doesn't include information added in the later edition. I had some confusion over that. I'm not sure if the larger format and expanded new edition is listed on ebay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.