Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on mounting a Monza exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, hope it was a good weekend for everyone.

I have a Starbucks straw for an exhaust on the AZ 2.0l car and was given a decent/driver quality Monza.

Before taking the existing one off it seems like a good idea to get some coaching on installing the replacement Monza one. biggrin.gif

Specifically I looked for pictures of how it is supported / braced to the rear of the car.

Thanks!Click to view attachment
mb911
It will just get supported like the muffler that is on there.. Nothing else..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is one for a 75 76 heat exchanger system only. It will bolt right up to that system and needs the appropriate muffler bracket to support it

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 8 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Good morning, hope it was a good weekend for everyone.

I have a Starbucks straw for an exhaust on the AZ 2.0l car and was given a decent/driver quality Monza.

Before taking the existing one off it seems like a good idea to get some coaching on installing the replacement Monza one. biggrin.gif

Specifically I looked for pictures of how it is supported / braced to the rear of the car.

Thanks!Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Is the bracket welded on? I don't see any obvious bolt holes / mounting points...
maf914
This weekend, while digging through old files looking for tax related information, I ran across some of my old 914 auto files. In 1979 I bought a new Monza exhaust for my 76 914. The secondary muffler on my system had developed a rusted out hole and I thought now was the time for some added performance. Time for a Monza exhaust! laugh.gif I have the receipt, $120 new, and the installation instructions. Installation was easy. I used it for less than one year. The noise and droning were too much for me. It was difficult to tell if there was any performance gain since I tried to avoid the noise that came with high RPMs. I gave up and bought a replacement secondary stock muffler, installed it and found I enjoyed driving my car again.

Here are the installation instructions. Good luck with the Monza.

bretth
I have always heard that these only rob power and add weight.
Tdskip
Thanks for that instruction sheet - neat.
rjames
Channeling the good Cap’n, Don’t . They are heavy and loud.
I had one and got rid of it several months later. Save yourself the trouble and find a proper exhaust.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 8 2019, 11:29 AM) *

that is one for a 75 76 heat exchanger system only. It will bolt right up to that system and needs the appropriate muffler bracket to support it

Yup, if you have anything but the BUH's (big ugly heatexchangers) you can try all day, but that muffler won't fit.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 8 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Yup, if you have anything but the BUH's (big ugly heatexchangers) you can try all day, but that muffler won't fit.

Well that is good to know. One side is HE and one is header (not my doing).

Here is the existing exhaust, can’t be worse than this, can it?

Click to view attachment
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 8 2019, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 8 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Well that is good to know. One side is HE and one is header (not my doing).

Here is the existing exhaust, can’t be worse than this, can it?

Click to view attachment

That looks like a 1.8 muffler to me, just somebody did something funny with the pipe. You could do worse. I have a Monza exhaust for either 1.8 or 2.0 heat exchangers that I would give you if you felt like driving up to La Canada to fetch it. I'll trade you for that one. :-)
Tdskip
So just leave it as is for now?

That tip looks like it would choke the exhaust way down...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.