Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
Wee was able to pull the old clutch cable out the back fire wall only about 10 inches. It will not come any further and will not go back in. Anyone know what could be stopping it and now how do i get it out? Is this a common problem?
76-914
Usually there is a sweet spot. Rotate it while lightly pulling. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(914fun @ Apr 8 2019, 05:17 PM) *
Is this a common problem?

Yes it is headbang.gif
jcd914
Sometimes the plastic sheith on the cable breaks up and the pieces jam the threaded end in the metal tube. Sometimes working the cable back and forth or twisting it can get it freed up.
Sometimes there is damage to the tube from it getting loose or being repaired. That can be tricky and you have to work it around and find the"sweet spot" as 76-914 said.

Removing the old clutch and throttle cables are on my list for tonight, hopefully I can find the"sweet spot" .

Jim
MiniStevieG
Pull harder biggrin.gif
914fun
Thanks for the response. I will keep working at it and look for that sweet spot. I was just worried about damaging the tube if i got to physical with it.
porschetub
The ferrule/crimp on the threaded upper end gets stuck but not generally too bad,if the tube is broken or bent you will have a real issue,in that case chop the upper threaded end off and then its further work to get the new one in sad.gif .
I bought a aftermarket one (Cofle ?) off Pelican and found it too long and had to cut 12mm of the clevis end.
Make sure you replace the clevis and check the clutch arm isn't chewed out with an oval hole,mine was ...good luck.
jcd914
My clutch cable came right out, no problem at all. smile.gif

The throttle cable on the other hand didn't want to come out.
The plastic sleeve on the cable inside the metal tube would move about 3/4 of an inch out before it stopped solid. I could pull hard on the cable itself and it wasn't going to come out. I was able to free the plastic up enough to push it back in flush with the end of the metal tube at the firewall. I could push it in and pull it out but just that 3/4 inch.
With a mirror and light I found in the tunnel that the PO melted the plastic sleeve when he repaired the clutch tube, probably when he welded up the opening he cut in the top of the tunnel.

I ended up cutting the cable at the engine end and jamming some of the strands into the sleeve and pulling the cable and sleeve out through the front of the tunnel.

It could have been worse but this is on par with the work the PO did, some good and some not so much.

Jim

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
remove the rear access plate at the back pad, and put a large screwdriver against the curve of the tube to flex it a little bit while pulling on the cable.

We assume you removed the front fork and nut from the front of the cable before you started pulling??? (LOL)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.