Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for Window Guide peice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
Finally decided to fix the window winding and alignment issues properly and have a couple of questions.

I’m using the factory workshop manual and have removed the lift mechanism (early version) and repaired the broken outer guide tube, reinstalled it and it’s working well.

I’ve got the window going up and down smoothly but I’m not sure of a couple of things relating to the guide channels at the front/rear of the door.

Does the rear channel require a Bailey channel (fuzzy) inside it to stop window rattling or is there a guide peice for the bottom edge of the window that keeps it all aligned? If it needs a guide peice, are these available?

Do I have to use a fillister head screw for the channel lower mount or can I just use a hex head bolt? The door has never had the rear channel installed since I’ve owned the car and probably contributed to the failure of the winder mech so I want to do it right.

The window front guide channel uses an adjusting screw and I’m not sure how that all goes together.

Would very much appreciate if someone here could post a pic so I can assemble it correctly and make the adjustments.

Thanks
DRPHIL914
rear vertical channel should have a fuzzy in it, 914rubber makes them, when I reinstalled mine after paint last year I bought the kits including the new derlin rollers for redoing the mechanisms and fuzzies for both channels etc.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
the early cars (70 through the first 1000 73 models) have bare channels. The window rolls up via a four rollered guide glued to the front of the channel, and a rear lower cap of plastic and metal glued to the bottom rear corner.

QUOTE(phillstek @ Apr 9 2019, 03:05 AM) *

Finally decided to fix the window winding and alignment issues properly and have a couple of questions.

I’m using the factory workshop manual and have removed the lift mechanism (early version) and repaired the broken outer guide tube, reinstalled it and it’s working well.

I’ve got the window going up and down smoothly but I’m not sure of a couple of things relating to the guide channels at the front/rear of the door.

Does the rear channel require a Bailey channel (fuzzy) inside it to stop window rattling or is there a guide peice for the bottom edge of the window that keeps it all aligned? If it needs a guide peice, are these available?

Do I have to use a fillister head screw for the channel lower mount or can I just use a hex head bolt? The door has never had the rear channel installed since I’ve owned the car and probably contributed to the failure of the winder mech so I want to do it right.

The window front guide channel uses an adjusting screw and I’m not sure how that all goes together.

Would very much appreciate if someone here could post a pic so I can assemble it correctly and make the adjustments.

Thanks
phillstek
Thanks for the replies.

Car is a ‘72 with early winding mech so no rear channel fuzzy, right?

Are the rear channel guide pieces available anywhere? I definitely have never had them on the bottom corner of the window. Do 914 rubber have these? I checked their site but couldn’t find them.

Thanks again.
Mikey914
The early didn’t cone stock with the fuzzy in 5he channels. Usually, when they dart the glass they wind up in the bottom of the door. Check there 1st. If so they can be re epoxied back on.

If not drop me a PM I may be able to help.
thx

Mark

914rubber.com
phillstek
Thanks Mark,

Definitely nothing floating around the bottom of the doors. Have sent you a pm.

Thought I’d fixed the window but it keeps popping out of the round plastic sliding piece in the metal window bracket. Reminds me of my old bay window Kombi that had the same shit set up.

Phil
Mikey914
Thanks got it and I'll work on a potential solution for you tomorrow.

-Mark
phillstek
Gotta say a massive public thank you to Mark at 914rubber.

There was absolutely no reason for him to go out of his way for me but he has and I’m seriously impressed by the level of commitment he has for us 914 tragics.

Thank you Mark, very much appreciate what you do for us.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.