Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contemporary fuel pump for carbed 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914skraper
FINALLY I'm getting back to my 914!
It's a '74, was 1.7 but PO had the dreaded engine fire. He replaced 1.7 with a Weber carbed 2.0, and did a few other things, and sold it to me as a roller.
SO. I've got the fuel tank out, and I've put in steel lines down the tunnel to replace the guilty plastic lines.
I have a fuel pressure regulator to keep the carbs happy. I'd gotten a Facet fuel pump, but I can't figure out an arrangement of putting that in that makes me happy - it won't fit in the fuel pump blister.
I've got an OEM fuel pump, the kind with three ports, but I'd like to put in a modern pump.
Notably, the ports on the OEM pump are all on one end; the cylindrical fuel pumps I've found have one port at each end. I'll go that way if needed but would prefer to find a contemporary pump, shaped like a cylinder so it'll fit in the blister, with the ports both on one end, so I don't have to put a U in the plumbing.

If you've put a fuel pump in a 914 recently, carbed or not, what did you use?

(Also - it's good to be back - I missed this forum.)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the facet always works well

QUOTE(914skraper @ Apr 9 2019, 12:30 PM) *

It's a '74, was 1.7 but PO had the dreaded engine fire. He replaced 1.7 with a Weber carbed 2.0, and did a few other things, and sold it to me as a roller.
SO. I've got the fuel tank out, and I've put in steel lines down the tunnel to replace the guilty plastic lines.
I have a fuel pressure regulator to keep the carbs happy. I'd gotten a Facet fuel pump, but I can't figure out an arrangement of putting that in that makes me happy - it won't fit in the fuel pump blister.
I've got an OEM fuel pump, the kind with three ports, but I'd like to put in a modern pump.
Notably, the ports on the OEM pump are all on one end; the cylindrical fuel pumps I've found have one port at each end. I'll go that way if needed but would prefer to find a contemporary pump, shaped like a cylinder so it'll fit in the blister, with the ports both on one end, so I don't have to put a U in the plumbing.

914skraper
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2019, 01:40 PM) *

... I'd gotten a Facet fuel pump, but I can't figure out an arrangement of putting that in that makes me happy - it won't fit in the fuel pump blister.

Er, yah the Facet is a thing, but doesn't fit in the fuel pump blister... dry.gif
Any suggestions for a pump that does fit?
porschetub
QUOTE(914skraper @ Apr 10 2019, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2019, 01:40 PM) *

... I'd gotten a Facet fuel pump, but I can't figure out an arrangement of putting that in that makes me happy - it won't fit in the fuel pump blister.

Er, yah the Facet is a thing, but doesn't fit in the fuel pump blister... dry.gif
Any suggestions for a pump that does fit?

Carter L.P. pump also sold @ CB performance,lots of folks using them on VW's too,I run one with a 7.5amp fuse.
They make a little more pressure than you need so keep your regulator,use guality hose and F.I. hose clamps and you will be set.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 9 2019, 12:40 PM) *

Friends don't let friends use a facet pump, those suckers (pushers?) are noisy as hell.
poke.gif

When i had my carbed 2056 i used a rotary pump from CB Performance.
Quiet, comes with it's own fuel filter and fits in the stock location area. You can even use the stock wiring and run it off the relay board instead of hacking the wiring harness.
Plus, since it has 3.5 lbs of pressure, you don't need an extra regulator.

http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the pier burg is what we sell to fit the omega bracket

theer
Chris sells FI & carb fuel pumps on his website (might be the same at CB Performance):

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm
michael7810
QUOTE(theer @ Apr 9 2019, 01:15 PM) *

Chris sells FI & carb fuel pumps on his website (might be the same at CB Performance):

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

I’ve been using Chris’s pump kit for years with no regulator and no problems.
Ansbacher
Use a good quality rotary pump that puts out 3-3.5 PSI. Stay away from Facet style pumps, as the noise will drive you bonkers.

Ansbacher
914skraper
Outstanding - Thanks everybody who replied. I have of course done searches but it's great to have some contemporary answers
Tbrown4x4
Late to the party as usual, but here's another vote for the CB pump.

I also installed this for safety:

http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Facets are too loud.
GeorgeRud
The Pierburg pumps have worked well for me and provide the appropriate pressure for carbs.
tmessenger
I put a Pierburg in my car, the model I bought is 7.21440.53.0 this pump puts out 6 psi at 13v but is designed to be under-volted. I used a dc to dc inverter to drop the supply voltage (the inverter is around $8 on ebay). With this setup, I can very accurately tune it from 2~6 psi and it's quiet.
type2man
Facets are ok but loud. The pumps you see all the vendors selling is a carter P60430 which is $40 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-P60430-Elec...koAAOSwiq9bbfpG
SKL1
Just replaced a Facet because it wasn't giving a steady pressure anymore (after many years) and used the rotary CB pump and filter.
And yes, it is MUCH quieter!!

(I also have Chris' fuel lines and linkage. His pump looks exactly like the CB pump.)
Chi-town
The Carter low pressure unit is available from the VW sites dirt cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.